Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: Liverpool FC 2014/2015 It's never going to be their year

Post by Kimbo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Pierre Littbarski wrote:
Kimbo wrote:
Pierre Littbarski wrote:
Kimbo wrote:
Pierre Littbarski wrote:Bony is decent technically, good in the air but nowt special.

Swansea are a brilliantly run club - they will get between £15m and £20m having already replaced him with a superior player on a free.

Gomis????

Yes.

What's so good about Gomis? We've been linked with him for years and he has just looked like a Kenwyne Jones clone to me.

He can score some very nice deft-touch goals, has decent enough skill and is an absolute beast.

He probably turned you down when he heard you were signing De Jong to play in "midfield".

We had problems with him because we wouldn't pay him 100k a week and then pay his team of "advisors" however many millions they were asking for. Gomis is a transfer that is only free in theory I think.

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Isco Benny wrote:
Rosicky wrote:Liverpool are doing a Spurs this summer then. And we all know how that worked out.

You do realise Liverpool have spent large amounts of money shortly after selling their star man before we ever did (Sold Torres, bought Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Suarez, Adam). Liverpool are doing a Liverpool.

I'm still somewhat amused hear the popular modus operandi is that Spurs' strategy was a complete flop. It didnt work short term, but then we had Arry Redknapp patching up our squad with the likes of Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha at a time when we should have been building long term.

Sure, we have probably signed a few duds out of that lot (Chadli looks garbage), but just like Liverpool did with Suarez and Henderson, the reaps of the harvest will spring through with time (Eriksen, Chiriches, Capoue, possibly Lamela).

In terms of Liverpools current investments, I think theyre doing more than okay, mixing premier league experience with riskier foreign talents. Surprised though no additions to a dodgy looking defence, or someone to replace Gerrard in the long run. Even when Suarez was out they looked good going forward, so a like for like replacement is probably both highly unlikely and unnecessary anyway.

I like the transfermarkt comparable player feature.

For Suarez it has cavani, falcao and aguero so basically no chance of liverpool replacing him like for like.

Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:40 pm

lol!

Yes this is real.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:34 pm

All the information on that poster is true.

Rosicky, have you seen the new BT advert that shows the game where we humiliated you last season? Apparently a lot of Arse fans aren't too happy with it.
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Luis wrote:All the information on that poster is true.

Are you not just a little bit embarrassed by it?

Luis wrote:
Rosicky, have you seen the new BT advert that shows the game where we humiliated you last season? Apparently a lot of Arse fans aren't too happy with it.

Yes i have. I have also seen the one where we win a trophy, no sign of Liverpool in that one.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Rosicky wrote:

lol!

Yes this is real.
 lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Rosicky wrote:
Luis wrote:All the information on that poster is true.

Are you not just a little bit embarrassed by it?

Luis wrote:

Yes i have. I have also seen the one where we win a trophy, no sign of Liverpool in that one.

Why would I be embarrassed? A slightly over the top poster aimed at over the top Yanks for commercial gain, every club that wants to make money has to be this corporate bitch now, it's cringey but I can't say I have sleepless nights over it.

Why would Liverpool be in an advert where Arsenal win a trophy unless we played you in a final?  scratch 
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:38 pm

It's Gerrard standing there looking hungover that gets me.
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19646
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 pm

With his gorilla arms.

So cringey.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:46 pm

There is one of Raheem as well !!
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 pm

Alberto Moreno might be back on. Everything was in place but then, according to reports from Spain, you tried to haggle over some of the incentive based variable fees and Sevilla told you to take a walk. But now you've been very nice to loan them Aspas while paying most of his wages and including an very small option to buy next summer so it sounds like maybe they are open to resuming negotiations for Moreno.
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:07 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/lazar-markovic-transfer-liverpool-seal-3864366

Done deal: Benfica have confirmed they've sold Markovic to Liverpool

Benfica have confirmed they have sold their 50% share of Lazar Markovic to Liverpool for £9.91million.

The Serbian has been heavily linked with a switch to Anfield, with Reds boss Brendan Rodgers eager to spend the cash brought in by Luis Suarez's departure.

Markovic passed a medical on Monday and was waiting on international clearance before the deal was announced.

And now Benfica have confirmed they have sold their 50% of the player to Liverpool for €12.5m (£9.91m), with the further 50% owned by a third party fund.

It means Markovic becomes Rodgers' fourth signing of the summer.
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:11 pm

@LFC: Brendan Rodgers on Markovic: "He is the sort of character who is hungry to get better and progress - what we look for in players." #LazarLFC

Very Happy 
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Markovic is pretty good from what I've seen. I think it's a good signing!
Luis

Post by Luis on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Never seen him play but obviously went on YouTube and he looks a world beater...

I guess we've pretty much finished our attacking business for this window so we can now really home in on the defence for the remaining weeks leading up to the season.

Lovren and Moreno the top targets - 40 odd million should secure the pair.

I'm always hopeful there will be one last big signing but if we were to get those 2 then our squad would be pretty strong provided Sturridge and Sterling can maintain or improve on their form last season.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Are you keeping Borini? He actually looked pretty good for Sunderland the last few months of last season.
Roger Hunt

Number of posts : 10115

Post by Roger Hunt on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Markovic's hairstyle reminds me of Milan Baros. Worrying.
shazlx

Number of posts : 5564
Supports : Arsenal
Favourite Player : Jack Wilshire
Registration date : 2006-11-08

Post by shazlx on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Its strange that Liverpool are paying so much for Markovic. I don't think he has enough hype and attention to command such big a fee. I'm would have thought it would be possible to get Griezmann, a more proven player, for that kind of money.

Overall, I think Livepool are paying too much for the players right now. I would have thought after the Carroll debacle, Liverpool would have learnt some lessons.

These big fees are going to really make it difficult to sell the flops and put the club at a disadvantage when slightly successful players want a pay rise. With big fee, you're going to need unqualified successes.

Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:18 pm

2 things working against us - we need a major squad upgrade to cope with the extra CL games this season, and everyone knows we have money to spend which means they'll overcharge us.

Markovic's price seems about right to me - but the extra TV money in England has driven the market crazy. The only exception so far this summer has been Fabregas, £27m for him is daylight robbery! Glad to see us buying young players, and getting business done early in the window rather than last minute.
shazlx

Post by shazlx on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Roger Hunt wrote:2 things working against us - we need a major squad upgrade to cope with the extra CL games this season, and everyone knows we have money to spend which means they'll overcharge us.

Markovic's price seems about right to me - but the extra TV money in England has driven the market crazy. The only exception so far this summer has been Fabregas, £27m for him is daylight robbery! Glad to see us buying young players, and getting business done early in the window rather than last minute.
But spending close to 45M on two players when you need a squad overhaul doesn't look good to me.

TBH, I've completely lost prospective when it comes to transfer fees right now. Its not even the figures right. I'm trying to logically compare fees to others in the past two years and there's no way to bench mark the figures and who's worth what. It become a case of, if the club has the money, they pay it.
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 pm

You can't just blame the EPL TV deal for the market overheating, Real & barca have taken their dick measuring contests to new heights in that time, not to mention Marseille & PSG. The German clubs have for the most part stayed out, but....
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 pm

The sport's fucked.
shazlx

Post by shazlx on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Deluded F*ck™ wrote:You can't just blame the EPL TV deal for the market overheating, Real & barca have taken their dick measuring contests to new heights in that time, not to mention Marseille & PSG. The German clubs have for the most part stayed out, but....
*Manaco?

The French duo (and Chelsea & Manc) are more of a problem than Barca and Real. The Spanish Giants have shown that when they want to buy a new starter they will sell a failed/never quite made it player to fund it. This at least puts a top talent on the market for the other big clubs.

The oligarch teams keep buying stars without any room in the starting XI. And the wages are too high for someone to take them on without taking a heavy loss on the original fee. Which they're not happy to do. These really talented players aren't getting circulated back into to football scene making the availability of top talents even rarer.

The other problem is, PL clubs aren't producing enough of their own average level talents. Paving huge fees for squad players who aren't even very talented.

Anyway, fair play to Southampton for getting huge fees. Players who are capable of keeping a club in the PL is at least ergonomically worth it because of the new TV deal. What I don't get, is how poorer foreign clubs are managing to get huge fees for non established players where there doesn't seem to be competition to sign them. They don't have their equivalent of the big PL TV deal to push the price.

Meh
COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:48 am

shazlx wrote:Its strange that Liverpool are paying so much for Markovic. I don't think he has enough hype and attention to command such big a fee. I'm would have thought it would be possible to get Griezmann, a more proven player, for that kind of money.

Overall, I think Livepool are paying too much for the players right now. I would have thought after the Carroll debacle, Liverpool would have learnt some lessons.

These big fees are going to really make it difficult to sell the flops and put the club at a disadvantage when slightly successful players want a pay rise. With big fee, you're going to need unqualified successes.

Interested to know why you think we need a squad overhaul ? All we need is a bit of added depth in certain positions and a replacement for Suarez. Anyway the current signings go a long way to adding depth to the midfield so that is hopefully sorted. The rest of our targets will cover the other areas.Buget for this year will be in excess of 100m

Lambert- £4m - very fair price, hopefully a steal

Can - £9m - again a great price for one of Leverkusen's best players. Will add some much needed competition for Gerrard

Lallana - £25m - about 5m too much due to English tax but gives the squad excellent cover across the midfield and will almost definitely be a success in this system.

Markovic - £20m - Now one of the quickest players with ball at his feet in the league. I guess the idea is to have him, Sterling and Sturridge being supplied by Coutinho, Gerrard an Lallana. Won't be a lot of fun trying to defend against that pace. Has won a league title every year since he turned professional and Benfica fans seem to think his price would be double if he stayed one more year. Pretty excited by this one and still plenty more signings to come.

110%

Post by 110% on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am

I used to think transfermarkt was a pretty reliable source, but costs and market value are not aligned in any way now.

For example lallana's market value is 6.6 million euros  Very Happy 
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-lallana/profil/spieler/43530

At least the comparable player feature still works:
http://www.transfermarkt.com/lazar-markovic/profil/spieler/144303
Markovic looks like he is somewhere in between Deulofeu and Zaha

Roger Hunt

Post by Roger Hunt on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:48 am

COTR wrote:Interested to know why you think we need a squad overhaul ? All we need is a bit of added depth in certain positions and a replacement for Suarez.

I think that we need

- a first-choice centre-back
- a first-choice left back
- a backup centre-back (unless we hold onto Agger)
- a backup striker

in addition to Can, Markovic, Lallana and Lambert.

that feels like a squad overhaul.
COTR

Post by COTR on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

Roger Hunt wrote:
COTR wrote:Interested to know why you think we need a squad overhaul ? All we need is a bit of added depth in certain positions and a replacement for Suarez.

I think that we need

- a backup striker

Depends on your definition of overhaul I guess. I would be surprised if the team that starts the season doesn't contain at least 9 of the starters from last year. All we needed was some added depth to cope with the additional games.

- Don't think we need a centre back. We have six of them. Defensive issues where system related last year.
- Enrique is a good player, we simply need competition for him i.e more squad depth
- Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Sakho, Wisdom, Ilori, Coates - How many more do we need ?
- We need a striker to compete with Sturridge rather than be backup, that is Lambert and Borini's role.

I'd be perfectly happy to go into the season with the current squad. But we have another 50/60 million to spend so why not spend it

110%

Post by 110% on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am

There is also Martin Kelly, more than enough centre-backs. Personally I'd sell Agger, bit overrated and often injured, and buy someone not as a backup but as a starter, who might also play left-back. A cheeky bid for Vertonghen maybe Wink.

Anyway a striker is what Liverpool really need. I don't think Sturridge can play a whole season at his top level.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:28 pm

COTR wrote:
Roger Hunt wrote:

I think that we need

- a backup striker

Depends on your definition of overhaul I guess. I would be surprised if the team that starts the season doesn't contain at least 9 of the starters from last year. All we needed was some added depth to cope with the additional games.

- Don't think we need a centre back. We have six of them. Defensive issues where system related last year.
- Enrique is a good player, we simply need competition for him i.e more squad depth
- Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Sakho, Wisdom, Ilori, Coates - How many more do we need ?
- We need a striker to compete with Sturridge rather than be backup, that is Lambert and Borini's role.

I'd be perfectly happy to go into the season with the current squad. But we have another 50/60 million to spend so why not spend it

Roger Hunt wrote:

I think that we need

- a backup striker

Our first choice centre back is going to be Sakho - didn't we spend about 19 million on him? He's had about ten games to acclimatise and he should be ready now.

Coater - just because you have 6 ugly women it doesn't mean you don't go out and find an attractive one. As I've said before Agger is probably a gonner, Skrtel should be back up and the rest are either going on loan or aren't good enough anyway. That's where Lovren comes in.

First choice left back is Flanno. I think we tried for Moreno, failed so I guess Enrique will have to do as back up.

We have 2 'strikers' and around 4 forwards. Borini possibly as back up as well. That's enough.
RedDevil

Number of posts : 57
Supports : Man Utd
Favourite Player : Rooney
Registration date : 2014-06-27

Post by RedDevil on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Liverpool will struggle without Suarez and with having to play Champions League again. Last season was their big chance but they blew it. Gerrard is running out of time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:16 am