Liverpool FC 2014/2015 It's never going to be their year

Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Re: Liverpool FC 2014/2015 It's never going to be their year

Post by Luis on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Lovren medical this weekend after 20 mil fee has (finally) been agreed.

Remy has had his medical in Boston, official announcement in the next few days.

Origi had his medical in Boston today but will remain at Lille for a season.

So that just leaves a fullback (Marquillo, Moreno, Bertrand the prime candidates), clear out the deadwood (Reina, Agger, Borini, Lucas, Assaidi) and then maybe have about 40 mil left over for a striker.

Looking something like this:

------------------Mignolet/ Jones------------------

Johnson/Kelly/Marquillo----Skrtel/Sakho/Lovren/Illori------------Flanagan/Enrique/New LB

-------------------Henderson/Can------------Gerrard/Allen-------------------------

-------Sterling/Remy----------------------Coutinho/Lallana-----------------Markovic-----------------

---------------------------------------------Sturridge/Lambert--------------------------------

debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Shirley you'll get another keeper too. Jones ain't good enough and Mignolet needs proper competition 'cause he ain't wholly convincing

110%

Number of posts : 8978
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by 110% on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Luis wrote:Lovren medical this weekend after 20 mil fee has (finally) been agreed.

Remy has had his medical in Boston, official announcement in the next few days.

Origi had his medical in Boston today but will remain at Lille for a season.

So that just leaves a fullback (Marquillo, Moreno, Bertrand the prime candidates), clear out the deadwood (Reina, Agger, Borini, Lucas, Assaidi) and then maybe have about 40 mil left over for a striker.

Looking something like this:

------------------Mignolet/ Jones------------------

Johnson/Kelly/Marquillo----Skrtel/Sakho/Lovren/Illori------------Flanagan/Enrique/New LB

-------------------Henderson/Can------------Gerrard/Allen-------------------------

-------Sterling/Remy----------------------Coutinho/Lallana-----------------Markovic-----------------

---------------------------------------------Sturridge/Lambert--------------------------------

What about coates and kolo toure?

Personally I don't understand the interest in bertrand. And borini is 14 million of deadwood  Sad 

Good to see I'm not the only one thinks Agger should go, hopefully to barcelona
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 pm

@Debbie - Yes, Mignolet isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm undecided, positionally he's woeful but as a shot stopper he's excellent. I'd give him at least another half season. Jones is dire but Reina isn't going to stick around to be second choice. There was talk of us being in for Vorm but Spurs got him. Begovic is another keeper being linked as well.

@110 - Coates and Toure won't be here much longer I wouldn't imagine. Toure might be given another season as 4th choice perhaps. And I don't think Agger should go but there's no way he's going to want to be third or 4th choice centre back and we could surely get a good 8-15 million for him still.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Why not just play Reina? I thought he only went on loan due to falling out with Brenton?
Luis

Post by Luis on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Lallana out for 6 weeks  Grr very annoying as I'm sure he would be a starter for us. I suppose that's a blessing for Markovic or Coutinho though. Always tough to get off to a good start coming back from injury like that though, hopefully he can aim to be back fully fit for October.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Just sign whoever his back up at Southampton was for £20m.

Apparently Remy failed his medical and the deal is off. We're back in the game!!!
Luis

Post by Luis on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:27 pm

I didn't think players actually failed medicals. Bit of a blow that one - for 8 million he'd be a very useful squad player.

Time to look elsewhere then, Bony probably going to be strongly linked again.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Luis wrote:I didn't think players actually failed medicals. Bit of a blow that one - for 8 million he'd be a very useful squad player.

Time to look elsewhere then, Bony probably going to be strongly linked again.

Remy has a heart problem, but it has been known for years so can't have been a surprise.
Luis

Post by Luis on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:43 pm

Best to not go through with it then - not only is it a risk for him but the club wouldn't be insured for him and there would be other complications.

Hoping Lovren can be concluded simply enough - seems that we are incapable of swift transfers.

We still have 3 or so weeks to find a striker and a full back to start the season with and a few weeks longer before the window ends, I'm not panicking just yet but the Lallana news followed by this is not great.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Why bid in the first place? If it is his heart that's the problem then Liverpool look like mongs. <Ale> 
Luis

Post by Luis on Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:00 pm

@LFC: Breaking News: Dejan Lovren has completed his medical & is now an #LFC player! Welcome to Anfield

cheers 
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 am

Lovren
Skrtel
Agger
Sakho
Toure
Coates
Ilori

Kelly
Wisdom (loaned)

Think we are just about sorted on centre backs now Brendan

I want a Reus as the last signing of the summer. A tad underwhelmed by this spunking of 80m so far. Relying on Sturridge staying injury free for goals is not the best plan.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 am

Dortmund won't sell Reus, no chance. He won't leave anyway.

Next year he will likely leave, but there will be a ton of competition to sign him.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 am

I didn't mean him in particular, someone of a similar stature able to make a similar impact. We have about 50m left to spend. Needs to go on someone who will offer a guaranteed goal return.

We'll be scraping around 4th / 5th positions in the league with the current striking options.

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am

COTR wrote:I didn't mean him in particular, someone of a similar stature able to make a similar impact. We have about 50m left to spend. Needs to go on someone who will offer a guaranteed goal return.

We'll be scraping around 4th / 5th positions in the league with the current striking options.

Problem is who is there?

Bony?

The only big name signing I can think of is Di Maria, if PSG don't sign him.  I can't think of a single other player on the market.

Liverpool should have done a Newcastle-Owen type deal with Sanchez. Offered such a big amount e.g. 50 million, that once Barca had accepted, Arsenal would have had to match it otherwise Sanchez would have been left with a choice of Liverpool or the bench at Barcelona.
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm

COTR wrote:I didn't mean him in particular, someone of a similar stature able to make a similar impact. We have about 50m left to spend. Needs to go on someone who will offer a guaranteed goal return.

In terms of forwards (Reus isn't a 'striker')

Currently: Sturridge, Lambert, Borini, Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho, Lallana

I don't think that's too shabby. We'll be going with one as a striker which will be Sturridge and if he gets injured then Lambert. Ideally we'll sign another 'striker' but it would only be as a back up, Remy could have played there, Bony might fit the bill if the price is right.

A Reus type player would be a luxury right now - we've spent 45 million on Lallana and Markovic - they are effectively replacing Suarez. As I've said before, you can't really replace a player like that unless you sign Messi or Ronaldo. The signings we've made are to try and ensure more goals throughout the team. It's a risky strategy perhaps but the only logical one IMO. You can either spend all summer trying to buy a player like Suarez (but realistically who is out there, would they come and could we afford them?) and hope he scores 30-40 goals like he did or you can try and sure up the defence and add more quality throughout the team. Only time will tell if the players we've brought in this summer can produce that quality.

We have a lot of options and the bench is far more improved now - instead of looking to Aspas and Moses we can now bring on Lambert and Coutinho/Markovic. Instead of Kolo Toure we can now bring on Skrtel or Sakho.

The main concern I have is with Johnson - he's been finished for a while now. I think we'll definitely sign a full back before the window shuts but we need to find the right one.

On the first day of the season if everyone stays fit I expect this to be our line up:

--------------Mignolet------------

---new RB-----Sakho------Lovren--------Enrique--------

------------Henderson-------Gerrard---------------------

----Sterling-------------Coutinho----------Markovic----------

-----------------------Sturridge--------------------------

That's a team capable of challenging for the title again IMO. There's pressure on Markovic but he looks lightning quick so he's going to be lethal on the counter the way we play. Goals wise Sterling and Coutinho need to chip in a lot more but if we can defend properly we don't have to win games 4-3 anymore.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti

Post by bluenine on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Luis wrote:On the first day of the season if everyone stays fit I expect this to be our line up:

That's a team capable of challenging for the title again IMO. There's pressure on Markovic but he looks lightning quick so he's going to be lethal on the counter the way we play. Goals wise Sterling and Coutinho need to chip in a lot more but if we can defend properly we don't have to win games 4-3 anymore.

I could see this come down crashing a la Spurs last season when they sold Bale. Liverpool have done something similar, trying to replace him with 2-3 players rather than 1 top quality player. I think Liverpool missed a HUGE trick when they did not force Sanchez as a part of the Suarez deal. Sanchez has the talent to replace Suarez, and such players are extremely rare. If only Liverpool had thrown more money (wages) at him, he would have agreed.

The only thing going for Liverpool is that you got Brendon who knows what to do. If you replace him with Boas, you will end up like Spurs 2013-14.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Sanchez just didn't want to go to Liverpool under any circumstances, apparently when it was suggested to him he vomited all over his own face for 10 minutes.

I read that Jay Rodriguez is the back up for Remy. lol! 
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Post by blutgraetsche on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm

What is it with Northern England that nobody wants to move there? Looks like Man United have the same problem...
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:59 pm

blutgraetsche wrote:What is it with Northern England that nobody wants to move there? Looks like Man United have the same problem...

I think the idea of paying £5m for a small 2 bedroom terrace house in London appeals to foreigners, makes them feel like they're in a Hugh Grant movie.

I still think location is overplayed though, Sunderland can't attract anyone and they blame it on their location, but their players live in Newcastle, and we are able to attract far better players. They just don't want to admit that they're a shit club.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Kimbo wrote:Sanchez just didn't want to go to Liverpool under any circumstances, apparently when it was suggested to him he vomited all over his own face for 10 minutes.

lol! 

Sure, Sanchez preferred Arsenal, I get that. But if Liverpool had thrown a million or two of extra wages at him, I am sure he would have changed his mind. This is their career, and its a short career. Its very, very hard to turn down a big wage increase. Its not like Sanchez grew up in north london supporting the gunners as a kid....
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:57 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2142679-dirk-kuyts-top-10-liverpool-moments/page/11

cheers
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:59 pm

bluenine wrote:
Luis wrote:On the first day of the season if everyone stays fit I expect this to be our line up:

I could see this come down crashing a la Spurs last season when they sold Bale. Liverpool have done something similar, trying to replace him with 2-3 players rather than 1 top quality player. I think Liverpool missed a HUGE trick when they did not force Sanchez as a part of the Suarez deal. Sanchez has the talent to replace Suarez, and such players are extremely rare. If only Liverpool had thrown more money (wages) at him, he would have agreed.

The only thing going for Liverpool is that you got Brendon who knows what to do. If you replace him with Boas, you will end up like Spurs 2013-14.

I have to disagree. The only similarity with the Spurs situation is that we both lost our best player and got a high fee for them. That's where it ends.

Even if Suarez had stayed we'd have had to of gone out out and bought at least 5 players. We're competing in 4 competitions, one of which is the most difficult club competition in the world where you need a quality squad to have any chance of even getting out the group and even that isn't enough sometimes (see Manchester City). Our bench last season was hideous; this just makes our achievement of pushing City all the way even more remarkable.

Suarez was magnificent but Sturridge and Sterling were as impressive a lot of the time. Losing Suarez does mean we aren't going to score as many goals - I think you'd be foolish to pretend otherwise but as a team we should be more advanced in how Rodgers wants us to play now - the defence will be improved; new personnel has come in but I'm certain Rodgers isn't deluded and knows our system was very vulnerable last season - we were shipping a ridiculous amount of goals, he won't want a repeat of that knowing Suarez isn't here to score a hat-trick against Norwich. More goals should be shared out between the team without the focus on Suarez all the time but if we can only win 1-0 then so be it, that's what we need to start doing more, certainly away in Europe for instance.

Sanchez was a shame but would he really have been able to score and assist as many as Suarez did? No. There's other players we can still get before the window shuts but anyone we do bring in is likely to be a back up and as a back up I think we should only be expecting someone who can score maybe 10 league goals.

I can see logic to every transfer we've made so far this window - some people will bitch and moan until we sign a 'marquee' player but spunking 50 million on an unfit Falcao or on Reus wouldn't be any more a guarantee of goals than spending 15 million on Bony or Lukaku.

bluenine

Post by bluenine on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Luis wrote:
bluenine wrote:

I have to disagree. The only similarity with the Spurs situation is that we both lost our best player and got a high fee for them. That's where it ends.

Even if Suarez had stayed we'd have had to of gone out out and bought at least 5 players. We're competing in 4 competitions, one of which is the most difficult club competition in the world where you need a quality squad to have any chance of even getting out the group and even that isn't enough sometimes (see Manchester City). Our bench last season was hideous; this just makes our achievement of pushing City all the way even more remarkable.

Suarez was magnificent but Sturridge and Sterling were as impressive a lot of the time. Losing Suarez does mean we aren't going to score as many goals - I think you'd be foolish to pretend otherwise but as a team we should be more advanced in how Rodgers wants us to play now - the defence will be improved; new personnel has come in but I'm certain Rodgers isn't deluded and knows our system was very vulnerable last season - we were shipping a ridiculous amount of goals, he won't want a repeat of that knowing Suarez isn't here to score a hat-trick against Norwich. More goals should be shared out between the team without the focus on Suarez all the time but if we can only win 1-0 then so be it, that's what we need to start doing more, certainly away in Europe for instance.

Sanchez was a shame but would he really have been able to score and assist as many as Suarez did? No. There's other players we can still get before the window shuts but anyone we do bring in is likely to be a back up and as a back up I think we should only be expecting someone who can score maybe 10 league goals.

I can see logic to every transfer we've made so far this window - some people will bitch and moan until we sign a 'marquee' player but spunking 50 million on an unfit Falcao or on Reus wouldn't be any more a guarantee of goals than spending 15 million on Bony or Lukaku.

I am not saying that players like Markovic, Lallana or Lovren are bad deals. Liverpool needed to bulk up and increase depth to compete in the CL this season, so that is fine.

What I meant was that Liverpool failed to "replace" Suarez when they had a chance. Sanchez may not score as many as Suarez, but he would have been as good a replacement as you can get. Even Falcao will not be as good a replacement as Sanchez. Because Suarez was not a no9 for Liverpool, he was much more. His runs created space for Sturridge and Sterling, his build up play was excellent, and he had the ability to create some magic. Sanchez is capable of all that. Markovic isn't, he is an addition you needed anyway. Makes sense?
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Well Markovic is a bit of an unknown quantity - we've signed players like him before that weren't yet superstars but perhaps on the cusp - Alonso, Torres, even Suarez. I'm not saying he will follow in their footsteps but maybe he can really be a surprise for us.

I agree, Sanchez would have been brilliant but he didn't want to come to us - his loss.

There are other players out there but I'd be happy to sort out the right back position and get a better third choice striker than Borini or a better second choice striker than Lambert. I feel like our wide attacking options are already concluded - Jordan Ibe is someone who might make a Sterling-esq leap into the team this season as well.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Apparently Remy didn't fail a medical, he was just being a greedy c**t, as usual.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am

I know last night was a pre season game but there were a lot of positives to take from it.

We played City btw in America, we drew 2-2 and then we won on pens!

Coutinho has been the stand out player in pre season; if he was going to make a statement to Rodgers to start him every game then he has done it. He's just so comfortable on the ball, so skillfull and a nightmare for defenders when he goes on a run. His end product still needs a bit of work but his game intelligence is exceptional.

Sterling is now a key player for us - he's quality. Scored a really good goal when he came on, always troubling defenders and scored an even better goal right at the end which was way onside but the officials deemed it off somehow (deja vu).

Emre Can looks very promising indeed - strong, good on the ball and chases down players Mascherano style.

Few things that are still concerning though - Our defending was really poor for both City goals and Mignolet looks shot of any sort of confidence. Our full backs were abysmal to be quite frank - Enrique is a headless chicken a lot of the time, Robinson came on and was at fault for one of the goals and Johnson is just awful - he doesn't even look bothered now, I'd be very concerned if we don't go into the season with a new right back. Martin Kelly had a somewhat decent game though when he was on.

Sturridge and Lambert didn't work at all in the first half - I can't imagine they'll play together much but their styles definitely don't suit each other.

Overall though we showed good character to come back twice and we ended the match really strongly.

If we can just find a full back or two and an attacking player I'd be quite confident going into this season, as it is I think we may struggle for goals at times.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Coutinho and Gerrard appear to be working on forging a similar relationship to Gerrard/Torres Gerrard/Suarez.

I think Sterling and Lambert could be a decent strike partnership if needed.

Henderson took his goal well, if he adds goals to his game he'll prove the last of his doubters wrong.

Defence of Jones, Kelly, Toure, Coates and Enrique was horrible, and Gerrard is a liability when he defends deep. We should have been in for Cabaye or Matic if that position is permanent, and not just a way or crow-barring Gerrard into the side.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Cabaye is brilliant, I'd have loved him here even if he is a massive dirty conte.

Can could maybe play that deeper role as well, but I can't see Gerrard being dropped. Joe Allen is another one who can play there, I'm not sure what to make of him really, he's a tidy player but I'm never wowed by him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:24 pm