Serie A 2014-15

bluenine

Number of posts : 22997
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Serie A 2014-15

Post by bluenine on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Champions Juve will most likely be challenged by the ambitious Napoli and last seasons revelation Roma. These will be challenged for CL spots by the entertaining Fiorentina. Inter and Milan are expected to rebuild squads which can challenge for CL spots. Then there are Lazio and Udinese, and last seasons surprises Torino and Parma also competing for EL spots. Palermo are back, along with Cesena and Empoli from Serie B.

Let the fun begin.
blutgraetsche

Number of posts : 23328
Supports : Deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft
Registration date : 2006-08-09

Re: Serie A 2014-15

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:40 pm

BREAKING NEWS: Antonio Conte quits as Juventus coach

The coach guided Juventus to three consecutive league titles and signed a contract extension in may but has made an astonishing u-turn by handing in his resignation

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2014/07/15/4961405/conte-resigns-as-juventus-coach?ICID=HP_HN_1
Murray

Number of posts : 10197
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Murray on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Wow, really didn't see that coming. It's a strange time to leave, obviously a big falling out about something.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:34 pm

So he'll be the new Italy manager then? Rather young for the job, but he'll likely do well.
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 pm

Thats a shock, most likely didnt get the transferkitty he wanted.
Murray

Post by Murray on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm

There are no other jobs available at the moment, so I suppose he will get the Italy job.
Murray

Post by Murray on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:32 am

Allegro is the favourite for the Juve job. Pirlo won't be happy with that.

And Iturbe is supposedly going to Roma now & not Juve.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 am

Massimiliano Allegri set to be appointed Juventus coach

• Former Milan manager on two-year deal
• Steps into void left by Antonio Conte

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/16/massimiliano-allegri-juventus-coach-conte
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:39 am

Fey wrote:Thats a shock, most likely didnt get the transferkitty he wanted.

He snapped because he realized he wasn't going to have the players he wanted (Cuadrado, Sanchez...) and still Marotta is very probably going to sell Vidal.

messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Zidane to Juve>?
abundance

Post by abundance on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm

nah Allegri is already official.

Thanks Juve for removing him from the pool of azzurri's CT candidates, and good luck with him, you'll need plenty
abundance

Post by abundance on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:08 pm

https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/489391644513677312/photo/1

reaction tweets are hilarious
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:41 pm

abundance wrote:https://twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/489391644513677312/photo/1

reaction tweets are hilarious

Tch tch, taking such pleasure at the misfortune of others. Bad abundance. Razz

bounce
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:46 pm

abundance wrote:nah Allegri is already official.

Thanks Juve for removing him from the pool of azzurri's CT candidates, and good luck with him, you'll need plenty

Between Spalletti, Conte and Mancio, the Azzurri can't do too badly.
abundance

Post by abundance on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Spalletti and Conte are miles better than Prandelli in terms of tactics and man management.
Mancini not that much, but at least he's got a much better eye for players.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:31 pm

abundance wrote:Spalletti and Conte are miles better than Prandelli in terms of tactics and man management.
Mancini not that much, but at least he's got a much better eye for players.

I think you may be under selling Prandelli here a bit. Different strengths. Prandelli's strong point is working with youngsters, and developing a possession based style. After the Lippi disaster and years of the Azzurri neglecting the youth, Prandelli was a positive step and exactly what the Azzurri needed.

I do agree that Prandelli's tactics are a bit one dimensional, and his management of stars is the best. But I think he was an important first step that the Azzurri needed, before they go for someone who is better at tactics and has more of a winning mentality.

Conte, much as I despise the man, is probably the best man for the job now. Spalletti & Mancio also have man management issues. Maybe Guidolin, I always thought he was an under rated coach.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 pm

How are Allegri and Pirlo gonna co-exist?
abundance

Post by abundance on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:07 pm

eheeheh ofc this is what people are wondering the most at the moment

There are already rumors of Pirlo asking to reach Prandelli at Galatasaray, or even going back to Milan =D

Couldn't ask for better football entertainment now that the WC is over
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 pm

lol!

Hilarious, one of my favourite movies. And Allegri really does look like Jack Nicholson...
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Inter hire Michael Bolingbroke, COO of Man Utd as our new CEO. Clearly, Thohir's focus is on brand building and revenue generation, as it should be. From a transfer market point of view as well, there seems to be a change in strategy. Inter are focusing on fewer but quality players this year (Hernanes, M'Vila, etc) in deals which are back loaded in terms of payment - like the 2 years loan with a obligation to buy we did for Dodo. Dare I say, sounds sensible.

Inter's situation in the last few years during the summer mercato resembles a striker who is through on to the goal at an angle, and has to decide whether to shoot or pass it to his teammate who is in a better position. The "goal" in this analogy is CL qualification, the "teammate" is next season, and that "ever widening angle on the goal" is our worsening financial situation.

Moratti is like that striker who took this shot and missed, and lost his confidence. Last couple of seasons, he seemed in two minds, and ended up half shooting, half passing - which always resulted in a waste. Hence the "Year 0" Groundhog day scenario. Thohir (so far) seems to have decided that he is going to make that pass to build up a goal for "next season". As much as I want Inter to take a good shot at the "goal" right now, passing is a sensible move at this ever widening angle. Lets build up for next season to score that goal.

Thohir is the first president to as much as state that not qualifying for CL this season will not necessarily mean failure. I respect him for that. Whether he will be able to make a quality pass (ie implement his strategy properly), that remains to be seen. But at least he is clear in his mind on what he wants to do, unlike Moratti.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:20 pm

Is it really impossible for Inter to do both? Nobody apart from Juve and maybe Napoli seem like they are so overwhelmingly strong that Inter with a pretty decent core of players (Handanovic, Vidic, Kovacevic, M'Vila, Hernanes, Icardi) couldn't at least be in the discussion for CL.
blutgraetsche

Post by blutgraetsche on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:08 pm

'You can't be Pirlo anymore' - how next Juventus coach Allegri forced the Italy legend out of Milan

This extract from Andrea Pirlo's autobiography, 'I think therefore I play', explains why in 2011 he decided to leave AC Milan, then coached by next Juventus boss Max Allegri

BOOK EXTRACT
By Andrea Pirlo

Adriano Galliani and Tullio Tinti, my agent, both felt the same way. We said our goodbyes without regret. In the space of half an hour (probably not even that), I was out of there. When you’re in love, it’s time you need. When the feeling’s gone, having an excuse can help.

“Andrea, our coach Massimiliano Allegri reckons that if you stay, you won’t be able to play in front of the defence. He’s got a different role in mind for you. Still in midfield, but on the left.”

One small detail: I still thought I could give my best playing in front of the defence. If the sea’s deep, a fish can breathe. If you put him just under the surface, he’ll get by, but it’s not quite the same thing.

“Even with you sitting on the bench or in the stand we’ve won the league. And you know, Andrea, the strategy’s changed this year. If you’re over 30, we’re only offering a year’s extension.”

Another small detail: I’ve never felt old, not even at that very moment. Only indirectly did I get the impression that people were trying to make out I was finished. Even now, I struggle to get my head round their reasoning.

“Thanks, but I really can’t accept. There’s a three-year deal on the table at Juventus.”

It was a polite ‘no’ for Milan, without money even entering the conversation that spring afternoon in 2011. Not once in those 30 minutes was it ever mentioned. I wanted to be thought of as important, a key player in the club’s plans, not someone about to be thrown on the scrapheap.

It was, it seemed, the end of an era and I felt in need of something new. Alarm bells had been ringing ever since the middle of what turned out to be my last season at the club, one ruined by a couple of injuries. I arrived at Milanello for training and realised that I didn’t want to go into the dressing room. Didn’t want to get changed, didn’t want to work.

I got on well with everyone and had a normal kind of relationship with Allegri – there was just something in the air. I recognised the walls that over the years had sheltered and protected me, but now I was starting to see cracks. I could sense some kind of draught that was out to make me sick.

That inner urge to go somewhere else, to breathe a different air, became ever more pressing and intense. The poetry that had always surrounded me was now becoming routine. It wasn’t something I could ignore. Even the fans maybe wanted a bit of relief. For so many years they’d applauded me at San Siro on a Sunday (and a Saturday, a Tuesday, a Wednesday…), but now perhaps they wanted to stick new faces in their Panini album, hear new stories being told. They’d got used to the things I did, my movements, my creations. They weren’t awestruck any more. In their eyes, the extraordinary was in real danger of becoming normal.

You can’t be Pirlo any more.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2014/07/16/4962731/you-cant-be-pirlo-anymore-how-next-juventus-coach-allegri-forced-?ICID=AR_RS_2
Pierre Littbarski

Number of posts : 12424

Post by Pierre Littbarski on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Friends reunited...

He leaves as joint 13th top scorer in the league, just ten behind Batistuta.

He is the best striker in the world for being on the end of crosses - its just that all the top teams have moved away from crosses and on to through balls and he is not quick enough.

The best player of his type but his type belong in a different era.

No scudetto but a great career with CL and World Cup wins  <Ale> 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqO1ZB8ESo
Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
Favourite Player : Scholes
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama on Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:35 pm

I was so excited when Gila joined Milan in 2005. That trio of Kaka-Sheva-Gila with Milan playing fluid football was a mouthwatering stuff
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:38 pm

Jaime wrote:Is it really impossible for Inter to do both? Nobody apart from Juve and maybe Napoli seem like they are so overwhelmingly strong that Inter with a pretty decent core of players (Handanovic, Vidic, Kovacevic, M'Vila, Hernanes, Icardi) couldn't at least be in the discussion for CL.

Roma are probably stronger than Napoli. These 3 teams are way ahead of us. Fiorentina are also a bit ahead, and Milan around the same level. Lazio & Co not too far behind Inter.

While Inter can hope to compete with Fiorentina, Milan, Lazio, etc - and if we have a good season, we can finish above these teams - perhaps expecting Inter to finish ahead of the top 3 is asking too much, baring a disaster season from the top 3.

If we want to PLAN to finish in the top 3, we probably need 4-5 players and about Eur 100-150m in transfer kitty, and a big wage bill. We don't have that kind of money anymore, infact we are more focused on reducing our wage bill. We used to spend over 200m in wages per season just a few years ago - next season, I expect below 80m. THAT is the difference.

That said, I like what Thohir is doing this summer. If we continue this work over 3-4 transfer windows, we will have a quality squad. For next season, Inter are still looking for 3-4 players (out of which, there will be one big buy, possibly striker). Best case scenario, we could add Jovetic, Cerci, Medel & Rolando. Then maybe we have a shot at the CL spots, if we remain relatively injury free:

Jovetic - Palacio - Cerci
Hernanes - M'Vila - Kovacic
Dodo - Vidic - Medel - Nagatomo
Handanovic
Subs: Belec, Ranocchia*, Rolando, Juan, Jonathan, Taider, Alvarez, Botta, Icardi

But that means 6 new players, of reasonable quality - I seriously doubt Inter will spend so much this summer. Perhaps this is the kind of squad we can aim for in 2015-16.

*Our captain sitting on the bench - shit happens, sometimes.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:35 am

It's interesting for a neutral to see these kinds of changes. In the long run it will serve Inter will I suppose. That is a massive change in the wage structure though.

Medel is shit. He had a good WC but I would not expect those performances to continue. Apart from that the backline looks ok although in truth I don't really know much about Dodo.

I like the midfield actually, and if you get Jovetic that would be pretty sweet. Palacio is a waste of space IMO. Why not Icardi was supposed to be pretty good?

Anyhow, caught the Milan-Olympiacos friendly just now. Yeesh. Milan are in big trouble. Obviously they were missing some big players that I assume will be in the XI but still. Niang and El Shaawary showed some glimpses. Cristante looked very composed for 19 but the back is a disaster. Both fullbacks give away entirely too much space. Rami, per the usual, vacillated between great and poor. But Bonera. Wow...
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Jaime wrote:It's interesting for a neutral to see these kinds of changes. In the long run it will serve Inter will I suppose. That is a massive change in the wage structure though.

Medel is shit. He had a good WC but I would not expect those performances to continue. Apart from that the backline looks ok although in truth I don't really know much about Dodo.

I like the midfield actually, and if you get Jovetic that would be pretty sweet. Palacio is a waste of space IMO. Why not Icardi was supposed to be pretty good?

Anyhow, caught the Milan-Olympiacos friendly just now. Yeesh. Milan are in big trouble. Obviously they were missing some big players that I assume will be in the XI but still. Niang and El Shaawary showed some glimpses. Cristante looked very composed for 19 but the back is a disaster. Both fullbacks give away entirely too much space. Rami, per the usual, vacillated between great and poor. But Bonera. Wow...

Palacio is not that bad, mate. Inter wore him into the ground last season, so he did not have a good World Cup - I prefer him to Higuain for eg, even though they are very different strikers. Icardi is talented, though not quite ready yet. Maybe next season will be his breakthrough season.

Jojo is a dream, very unlikely. The other names I hear in his place are Bacca, Firmino, Hernandez, etc - none of them great, but decent players who could be useful.

Medel I am not sure about either, nor do I like the alternative (Behrami). I would have preferred to get someone like Casemiro instead, who can at least play with the ball. But Mazzarri likes his destroyers, what can I say.

Our defense is weak, though some of the kids are talented (Juan, Dodo). I hope we get Rolando, he was good for us (on loan) last season. Maybe him and Vidic can form a good partnership, with Juan as the understudy. Il Capitano Ranocchia, we should have sold him to Juve when we had the chance - a complete waste of 23m.

A lot depends on which players we get, and I guess that depends on how many players we can sell. If we manage to sell Guarin, Alvarez, Kuz, Schelotto, Silvestre, Campagnaro, etc at a decent price, then we could have a budget to make a push.
Pras_tama

Number of posts : 2101
Supports : Manchester United & Indonesia NT
Favourite Player : Scholes
Registration date : 2008-11-28

Post by Pras_tama on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:01 am

Blue and co,, if you have to choose, who would you choose between Vidal and Strootman to complement a lightweight all rounder like Ander Herrera in a 2 men midfield?
Murray

Post by Murray on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 am

I would pick Vidal, but Gaal will probably prefer Strootman because he is Dutch & he would be cheaper.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:42 am

Pras_tama wrote:Blue and co,, if you have to choose, who would you choose between Vidal and Strootman to complement a lightweight all rounder like Ander Herrera in a 2 men midfield?

Interesting question, Pras. Its a bit like asking who would you prefer for that role if you had a choice between Yaya Toure and Matic. I like Strootman, but he is not in the same class as Vidal, and IMO he will never be as complete as Vidal anyways. Vidal is one of those very rare and new breed of players who can play a great destroyer role as well as be very effective as a AM to build up attacks and score goals. Yaya Toure is a good comparison in that sense. Strootman is not all that, though he still will be very good in the role you describe - he can be another Keane for you guys. But Vidal, he is another level - apart from providing Pirlo protective cover, Vidal also scored 18 goals for Juve last season and had 6 assists. It is not a surprise that he is Juve's player of the year for the last two seasons in a row.

But Strootman is broken, and Vidal will cost a bank. So its unlikely you will get either of them this summer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 am