bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: 2014/15 UEFA Champions League - Group Stages

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:07 pm

bluenine wrote:
Jaime wrote:I can't figure this group out. I have no idea who will qualify.

Benfica and Leverkusen I think.

The first 60 minutes have shat all over my predictions Doh
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Fey on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Podolski was about to come on, but his shirt was lost....

Arsenal are lucky its just 2-0. 4/5-0 would suit the game more.
Murray

Number of posts : 10206

Post by Murray on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 pm

It was not a good idea to have a thread for each group
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 pm

Murray wrote:It was not a good idea to have a thread for each group

I was just thinking that. We should have one CL thread for all groups.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Luis wrote:Anfield on a European night! cheers

Balotelli cheers
Antarion

Number of posts : 3376
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Müller, Neuer and Schürrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Either that or put the teams in the header of each thread
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Fey wrote:Lovely goal immobile to make it 1-0 for Dortmund. Arsenal look weak. Though Wellback should have scored.

Good goal by Immobile. Balotelli also scored for Liverpool. Now for Cerci to score for Atletico, and Conte will be happy.

Interesting how so many Italian players are involved today for non-italian teams. That in itself is a sign of the decline of Serie A, it cannot keep hold of its best local talents.
The Chosen Glenn

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2012-03-22

Post by The Chosen Glenn on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:38 pm

wow! That was a emotional 2 minutes.
Fey

Post by Fey on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Fucking Liverpool...no way that was a pen.
Murray

Post by Murray on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Merged all the group threads
Fey

Post by Fey on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 pm

bluenine wrote:
Fey wrote:Lovely goal immobile to make it 1-0 for Dortmund. Arsenal look weak. Though Wellback should have scored.

Good goal by Immobile. Balotelli also scored for Liverpool. Now for Cerci to score for Atletico, and Conte will be happy.

Interesting how so many Italian players are involved today for non-italian teams. That in itself is a sign of the decline of Serie A, it cannot keep hold of its best local talents.

Yet Conte refuses to give Pelle a shot...
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:55 pm

My thread disappeared just as I finished writing the rant below Grr

FT 2 - 0. Absolute shocker. I've rarely seen us play so badly collectively. Never mind the patched up defence, Bellerin did very little wrong under the circumstances. It was Kos and Mert who were well off the boil and let Dortmund through time and again. To be fair the real problem in MF - Arteta was woeful, the fact that AW hooked him on the hour (something he rarely does, he always leaves substitutions far too late to meaningfully impact the match) shows how desparate it was.Wilshere seems to have developed a perverse habit of insisting on extra touches when there are five oppositions players bearing down on him. Ramsey has disappeared since the opening day; Wellbeck channelled his inner Sanogo. The only one to have come out with any credit was AOC. We were actually lucky to get away with 2 - 0. Had it not beeen for Mkhitaryan's uselessness in front of goals, it could have been another 6 - 0.

Having said this, this was always going to be the hardest fixture. Nothing to do but dust ourselves down and do better next.
Crouching Tiger

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by Crouching Tiger on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Bit worried about how the seasons going to pan out based on recent viewing. We were VERY lucky to win today.

Balotelli couldn't lead the line by himself but started playing a lot better when Borini came on and freed him up some space. Thought Lallana was poor and didn't contribute much at all - it was strange starting him and Coutinho because they kind of do the same job and having them both on the pitch seems to mean we play more in front of the opposition defence rather than behind it.

Defense is again looking very fragile with lots of mistakes. We were opened up whenever they came forward and we couldn't seem to deal with Villa at the weekend either. Still not fully convinced by Lovren and Sakho. Don't think Manquillo can cut it at this level either.

We would have hammered that team with Suarez last season and even though it's early days I'm not convinced how all of Brendan's spending is going to help us this year. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I think we've lost our mojo.
Fey

Post by Fey on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Juventus have such great shirts..

Not sure if we saw the winner tonight..also Afellay killed Atletico tonight. Perhaps his career aint over yet.
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Another season of disappointment in store for Arsenal.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:32 pm

Fey wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Yet Conte refuses to give Pelle a shot...
Well he included him in the 30 pre-call notices he sent out before the Holland and Norway games.
Which is more than any other seniot NT coach has ever done.
If he keeps showing that he can do his job in the Premiership he'll be granted a test for sure.
Well at least I hope so, he so fkin deserves it.
abundance

Number of posts : 1514
Supports : FC Inter
Registration date : 2007-01-29

Post by abundance on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Crouching Tiger wrote:Balotelli couldn't lead the line by himself but started playing a lot better when Borini came on and freed him up some space. Thought Lallana was poor and didn't contribute much at all - it was strange starting him and Coutinho because they kind of do the same job and having them both on the pitch seems to mean we play more in front of the opposition defence rather than behind it.
Yep Balotelli has never been, and never will be, a proper first striker.
If he's been employed like that in Milan and NT it was only out of scarcity.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by COTR on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 am

Crouching Tiger wrote:Bit worried about how the seasons going to pan out based on recent viewing. We were VERY lucky to win today.

Balotelli couldn't lead the line by himself but started playing a lot better when Borini came on and freed him up some space. Thought Lallana was poor and didn't contribute much at all - it was strange starting him and Coutinho because they kind of do the same job and having them both on the pitch seems to mean we play more in front of the opposition defence rather than behind it.

Defense is again looking very fragile with lots of mistakes. We were opened up whenever they came forward and we couldn't seem to deal with Villa at the weekend either. Still not fully convinced by Lovren and Sakho. Don't think Manquillo can cut it at this level either.

We would have hammered that team with Suarez last season and even though it's early days I'm not convinced how all of Brendan's spending is going to help us this year. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I think we've lost our mojo.

It shows how crucial keeping Sturridge fit is, which is worrying.

Lovren, well he has been at fault for just about all our goals so far this season. We are going to see a lot of mistakes from him and Mignolet (someone I can't wait to get rid of already).

Rodgers really needs Lallana and Markovic to come good to justify his spending as a success. At the minute only Moreno is looking the part.
Xavier

Number of posts : 563
Supports : Germany, Lazio, & the Whole Bloody Bundesliga
Favourite Player : Klose, Kroos, Mueller, Badstuber, Schweinsteiger, L Bender, Di Natale, Modric
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by Xavier on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 am

Real frustrating game again from Leverkusen.... completely dominated Monaco for most of the first half, had seven attempts to one, and yet failed to capitalize as against Bremen on Friday... at least the defense looked a bit better!
Kroos

Number of posts : 9049
Supports : FC Bayern Munich, die MANNSCHAFT
Favourite Player : Kroos, Müller, Götze, Neuer, Gündogan

Post by Kroos on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 am

Dortmund without

reus, gündogan, hummels, kuba, piscek, sahin, kagawa

and still deliver such an DOMINANT DISPLAY

tells you how shit arsenal played, or they have no clue how to play against a PRESSING MASCHINE

@xavier

really ok haven`t seen the game but thats why roger schmidt didn`t qualify for the CL with salzburg

his football is too extreme, no balance at all

he ain`t no klopp right now

this was a CL away game, 6 from 8 teams won there home games, what is roger schmidt expecting, even when monaco is not on his best
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 pm

TheCrazy58 wrote:My thread disappeared just as I finished writing the rant below Grr

FT 2 - 0. Absolute shocker. I've rarely seen us play so badly collectively. Never mind the patched up defence, Bellerin did very little wrong under the circumstances. It was Kos and Mert who were well off the boil and let Dortmund through time and again. To be fair the real problem in MF - Arteta was woeful, the fact that AW hooked him on the hour (something he rarely does, he always leaves substitutions far too late to meaningfully impact the match) shows how desparate it was.Wilshere seems to have developed a perverse habit of insisting on extra touches when there are five oppositions players bearing down on him. Ramsey has disappeared since the opening day; Wellbeck channelled his inner Sanogo. The only one to have come out with any credit was AOC. We were actually lucky to get away with 2 - 0. Had it not beeen for Mkhitaryan's uselessness in front of goals, it could have been another 6 - 0.

Having said this, this was always going to be the hardest fixture. Nothing to do but dust ourselves down and do better next.

I have been saying this for a while now... what Arsenal are missing (and missing badly) is a proper DM. Something like what Vieira and Petit used to be. Arteta looks uncomfortable in that role, and Flamini just doesn't have the quality for it. Against weaker opposition, the quality in the attack makes up for this issue. But against big teams, this weakness gets exposed almost everytime.

I just cannot understand why Wenger refuses to do anything about it. I don't buy the "its not our philosophy to play a DM" or the "Attractive football" arguments, Arsenal used to play with Vieira and Petit, and were a more attractive team to watch in those days. I also don't buy the "no such opportunity existed in the summer" argument either, because a lot of quality DMs were available - hell, Inter got M'Vila and Medel and we hardly had any money. City got Fernando on a cheap. There were many options.
Kroos

Post by Kroos on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 pm

bluenine wrote:
TheCrazy58 wrote:My thread disappeared just as I finished writing the rant below Grr

I have been saying this for a while now... what Arsenal are missing (and missing badly) is a proper DM. Something like what Vieira and Petit used to be. Arteta looks uncomfortable in that role, and Flamini just doesn't have the quality for it. Against weaker opposition, the quality in the attack makes up for this issue. But against big teams, this weakness gets exposed almost everytime.

I just cannot understand why Wenger refuses to do anything about it. I don't buy the "its not our philosophy to play a DM" or the "Attractive football" arguments, Arsenal used to play with Vieira and Petit, and were a more attractive team to watch in those days. I also don't buy the "no such opportunity existed in the summer" argument either, because a lot of quality DMs were available - hell, Inter got M'Vila and Medel and we hardly had any money. City got Fernando on a cheap. There were many options.

so you would add one DM and everything would be fine lol!

Arsenes complete style of playing the game was maybe 10 years ago up to date

simeone and klopp are the future, or you think that players like kehl-bender are world beaters you can easily dominate every team in the world, no just look what every player from bvb works, it`s insane

both tactically miles ahead of mourinho, a full fit dortmund side would snowball every team in the epl

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Man City XI: Hart, Sagna, Demichelis, Kompany, Clichy, Fernandinho, Yaya Toure, Navas, Silva, Nasri, Dzeko

Bayern XI: Neuer, Alonso, Benatia, Lewandowski, Rafinha, Boateng, Bernat, Götze, Lahm, Müller, Alaba

How does this Bayern XI set up tactically?
Kroos

Post by Kroos on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:17 pm

neuer

rafinha-benatia-boateng-bernat

-lahm--alonso-alaba
-------götze
--müller-----lewa

something like that

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Kroos wrote:neuer

rafinha-benatia-boateng-bernat

-lahm--alonso-alaba
-------götze
--müller-----lewa

something like that
Apparently it's 3 at the back: Alaba, Boateng, Benatia with Rafinha and Benat as wingbacks.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 pm

Watching Roma's Gervinho...how could Arsenal let him go, he gave such a liquid pass for the 1-0...could he be the one?
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 pm

These two are now acutally against eachother....anyway 0-1 PSG, Ajax are shite.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Bayern all over City.
Murray

Post by Murray on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Fey wrote:Watching Roma's Gervinho...how could Arsenal let him go, he gave such a liquid pass for the 1-0...could he be the one?

He's scored 2 goals now.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Murray wrote:
Fey wrote:Watching Roma's Gervinho...how could Arsenal let him go, he gave such a liquid pass for the 1-0...could he be the one?

He's scored 2 goals now.

Good goals? Im not suprised by that, I knew Africans could score..but such a pass, between two players even.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 am