Told you Wodgers would get sacked this season Ale
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: 2014/15 UEFA Champions League - Group Stages

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Liverpool could end last. Both Ludo and Basel are better teams then they have.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

No idea why Moreno was dropped. Rotation isn't one of Rodgers' strong points it seems - fuck knows how he can justify Gerrard every game and Sterling playing 120 minutes vs Boro. Suso was great vs Boro but can't get in the squad.

Frustrating that all our hard work from last season is slipping away.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Luis wrote:No idea why Moreno was dropped. Rotation isn't one of Rodgers' strong points it seems - fuck knows how he can justify Gerrard every game and Sterling playing 120 minutes vs Boro. Suso was great vs Boro but can't get in the squad.

You sound like an England fan Lewis. affraid
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Luis wrote:No idea why Moreno was dropped. Rotation isn't one of Rodgers' strong points it seems - fuck knows how he can justify Gerrard every game and Sterling playing 120 minutes vs Boro. Suso was great vs Boro but can't get in the squad.

It's just common sense that Gerrard can't play every game at this age and level now.

Raheem is absolutely knackered as well but yeah drop Moreno and Lallana instead.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Arda Turan 1-0 for Atletico against Juve. Good goal. Lichtsteiner remains Juves weak link to become a true topteam again imo.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 pm

We're piss easy to beat now. Stop Sterling, take advantage of our laughable defence and that's it - we have nothing about us to come back into a game.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Luis wrote:We're piss easy to beat now. Stop Sterling, take advantage of our laughable defence and that's it - we have nothing about us to come back into a game.

You're so extreme Lewis, you've been a dog sniffing it's own arse for the last year, but after a few games this season all hope is lost.
Rosicky

Number of posts : 17201
Supports : Sacking Wenger :grr:
Registration date : 2007-04-03

Post by Rosicky on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:38 pm

but..but..but all those new super signings, all i heard all summer was how you were not gonna miss Suarez

An obviously Mario " 1 goal in 19 prem games " Balotelli was gonna be the difference.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:39 pm

So..England can beat Switzerland. But no Englidh club can beat Basel..
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Fey wrote:So..England can beat Switzerland. But no Englidh club can beat Basel..

The premier league is no better than it was 15 years ago, all that has changed is players that used to go for 4m are now going for 20m+.
TheCrazy58

Number of posts : 8151
Supports : Arsenal

Post by TheCrazy58 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 pm

FT 4 - 1. Have to say we looked good but it's difficult to judge seeing how poor Galataseray were for 3/4 of the match. They got going with second half subs plus numerical superiorty after Chesney got himself sent off for a scything down an onrushing Gala player - sort of thing he is supposed to have grown out of Grr . However Ospina, when he came on, was decent - he'll need to be as there'll be no way Chesney will have his suspension reduced, and he'll have to play the next three matches.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Fey wrote:So..England can beat Switzerland. But no Englidh club can beat Basel..

We smashed em mate
The Prfessr

Number of posts : 10076

Post by The Prfessr on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Danny 'can't finish' Welbeck was very efficient in-front of goal tonight. And as usual, his all-round game was great.

Might sound funny cos he's missed some chances he should have converted but I don't think we've been feeding him as much as we normally feed our strikers. We still haven't gelled going forward because we have been experimenting a lot with our formation and have introduced 2 new players in our front-line who are bedding in.

Chesney is such a moron, Fabianski wouldn't have given away that penalty, let alone get sent off.
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:53 pm

Luis wrote:
Kimbo wrote:

It's just common sense that Gerrard can't play every game at this age and level now.

Raheem is absolutely knackered as well but yeah drop Moreno and Lallana instead.

You were the one that wanted people like Lovren in the team (no improvement at all on what we had)

Rodgers could end up losing his job on the back of this disastrous spending spree
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:00 pm

The last player to score a CL hattrick for Arsenal:

Brentan is an idiot for buying so much overrated Southampton shite.

Last season you werent great either, but Suarez's goals masked a lot.

Crouching Tiger

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by Crouching Tiger on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Had a bad feeling about this season as soon as I knew we were going to blow 25million on Lallana. 20million on Lovren was a joke as well. That's 45million blown on players I knew wouldn't improve the team. As for Luis and Glenn's nonsense about Lovren being better that the previous lot - what a joke.

I think it was common knowledge that Brendan didn't really want Mario either because we were chasing Cavani and Falcao for most of the summer and only signed Balotelli when we couldn't get either of those. He's just a name with this sort of strange mythology attached to it because he sets off fireworks in his bathroom, not because he scores goals. Still can't believe we backed out of signing Remy. Markovic looks next to useless too.

Brendan's got the philosophy right, but he's another one of those who doesn't know how to spend money. He's been like a kid in a toyshop. A shit toyshop where everything costs tens of millions of pounds.
Xavier

Number of posts : 563
Supports : Germany, Lazio, & the Whole Bloody Bundesliga
Favourite Player : Klose, Kroos, Mueller, Badstuber, Schweinsteiger, L Bender, Di Natale, Modric
Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by Xavier on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:37 am

I was at the Leverkusen / Benfica game.... arguably Leverkusen's best game of the season so far! You can tell that this was what Schmidt is ideally going for, insanely high-tempo pressing in the attacking half with a ridiculous high line.... It only works if the entire team understands the concept, and, judging by this game at least, they are starting to.

Limiting the opposition to a couple half-chances & actually finishing their own also help mark this game from most of their others so far this season.... more of this please!
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Welbeck > Balotelli Ale

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Deluded F*ck wrote:Welbeck > Balotelli Ale

This week Very Happy

But last CL match week Arsenal were raped by Dortmund and Balotelli scored, so then it was Balotelli > Welbeck, and no-one thinks Balotelli is that good (except Balotelli himself of course Wink).

It is nice though that as a Spurs fan you are happy every time that Welbeck scores (and Arsenal win).
Deluded F*ck™

Number of posts : 21764
Supports : The Lilywhites from N17
Favourite Player : The Hurrikane - he's on of our own!

Post by Deluded F*ck™ on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:17 pm

We all know what Arsenal will do in the CL, out in the last 16 (or 8 if they are lucky)

I am delighted for Welbeck though, takes a lot of over the top criticism.

There's more to this business than individual talent.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm

110% wrote:
Deluded F*ck wrote:Welbeck > Balotelli Ale

This week Very Happy

But last CL match week Arsenal were raped by Dortmund and Balotelli scored, so then it was Balotelli > Welbeck, and no-one thinks Balotelli is that good (except Balotelli himself of course Wink).

It is nice though that as a Spurs fan you are happy every time that Welbeck scores (and Arsenal win).

And Lewis.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:43 pm

Crouching Tiger wrote:Had a bad feeling about this season as soon as I knew we were going to blow 25million on Lallana. 20million on Lovren was a joke as well. That's 45million blown on players I knew wouldn't improve the team. As for Luis and Glenn's nonsense about Lovren being better that the previous lot - what a joke.

I think it was common knowledge that Brendan didn't really want Mario either because we were chasing Cavani and Falcao for most of the summer and only signed Balotelli when we couldn't get either of those. He's just a name with this sort of strange mythology attached to it because he sets off fireworks in his bathroom, not because he scores goals. Still can't believe we backed out of signing Remy. Markovic looks next to useless too.

Brendan's got the philosophy right, but he's another one of those who doesn't know how to spend money. He's been like a kid in a toyshop. A shit toyshop where everything costs tens of millions of pounds.

I still find it really strange how Lovren is your scape goat though. Agger always missed a shit load of games through injury so I'll ask you the question again, would you rather see Kolo Toure starting than Lovren? Sakho has been woeful this season I'll admit that - I still think he's a good player but for whatever reason he's had a disaster this season and looks devoid of confidence. He's obviously fallen out with Rodgers as well so I imagine he will be gone in January or next summer. We always needed to buy a centre back; who else was out there that looked as good an option as Lovren? Did well at a Premier League club, knew Lallana and Lambert anyway (shouldn't have needed to settle in too much), looked a leader. The price is irrelevant for him - when players like Downing and Carroll have come to this club for the same or more money than Lovren it seems silly to bemoan 20 million spent on an area of the team we did need improving.

It hasn't happened so far. Our defence has been an embarrassment. But last night Enrique and Mignolet were at fault far more than Lovren. Enrique was fucking dreadful. It only serves to highlight the absurdity of dropping Moreno - one of our only good players this season. Mignolet made some good saves but once again from a set piece put us in trouble; why palm that ball only slightly away? it hits Lovren and bounces back to danger. Either palm it well away or try and catch it. It's this indecisiveness that has constantly cost us time and time again. It started last season and has grown into a monster of uncertainty this one. Mignolet has been at fault for nearly every goal. His positioning is dreadful, command non-existent. Why we didn't go for Vorm or Begovic I have absolutely no idea.

We signed Balotelli because the club showed no balls in the window. Man United for all their faults went out and spent big money on two world class players in Di Maria and Falcao. Had we just bought them and no one else we'd probably be just as good as last season. We missed out on Sanchez so we should have gone all out for those 2 players whatever the cost.

I still think Balotelli has all the ability in the world, his touch is majestic at times but fuck it, the way he plays is so antithetical to how we played last season. He's slow at getting forward, never likely to press and requires ball to feet every time or gets closed down easily. Suarez was an absolute nightmare to play against, Balotelli must be a breeze for a lot of defenders. I still think he's capable of scoring 15 odd league goals but not in a side that's relied on quick counters, intensity and pass and move to get them where they were last season.

We didn't back out of signing Remy though, he gave us no choice when he failed a medical - why take that risk and have no insurance for a player with heart problems?

Markovic I completely agree with - nonsense of a signing so far. Looks entirely a speed merchant with no idea what to do with the ball. if you're going to bemoan 20 million spent on a player then it's for him so far.

People suggesting Rodgers could get sacked are absolutely ridiculous though. Laughable. He took us from a rotten Europa league level team to within 3 points of winning our first title since 1990. And that was with a squad that relied on Moses, Aspas and Alberto to come on and change a game. He got us back to playing the way we've always wanted to play and destroying teams on a monthly basis. Yes, Suarez was a large part of that but Rodgers coached him to the level he is now. He also did wonders with Sterling and Henderson who both could have gone either way.

It's completely disrespectful to now suggest he could lose his job. The summer has been a disaster so far but losing your best player will always lead to that likely result. I'd wait a few months before making the final verdict on the signings though. Lallana looks great - when he's fully fit he can be a key player for us. Moreno is a great signing. Manquillo has been handy if not spectacular. Lovren I think will come good - but when your goal keeper is a clown then it's difficult.

I'm as frustrated as the next fan but we have Sturridge and Allen to come back in. I fail to believe the quality in the side wont come good - there's too many good players for it not to.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Still don't quite understand the Remy stuff... Isn't it still claimed he didn't fail the medical? How's he passing all these other medicals? Are other clubs managing to get him insured or taking a risk on him?

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:Still don't quite understand the Remy stuff... Isn't it still claimed he didn't fail the medical? How's he passing all these other medicals? Are other clubs managing to get him insured or taking a risk on him?
Taking risk probably, helps for Chelsea that they can use him as back-up for limited playing time. I know stories like this from my work in basketball - you know player's knees or back isnt working well and it will put off some teams. But some other are willing to take risk and will just have a special practice schedule for him, etc...

110%

Number of posts : 8978

Post by 110% on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am

christmasborocooper wrote:Still don't quite understand the Remy stuff... Isn't it still claimed he didn't fail the medical? How's he passing all these other medicals? Are other clubs managing to get him insured or taking a risk on him?

This might explain it:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/loic-remys-transfer-to-chelsea-and-the-medical-mystery-at-liverpool-9701710.html
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 pm

To an extent yeah, it still seems a little bit speculative. Makes sense though I guess.

Though I wouldn't so much have thought he could "cause a medical problem further down the line" that would cost them loads of medical bills..would've thought it's a risk he might just die on the pitch or something.
Crouching Tiger

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by Crouching Tiger on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Luis wrote:
Crouching Tiger wrote:Had a bad feeling about this season as soon as I knew we were going to blow 25million on Lallana. 20million on Lovren was a joke as well. That's 45million blown on players I knew wouldn't improve the team. As for Luis and Glenn's nonsense about Lovren being better that the previous lot - what a joke.

I still find it really strange how Lovren is your scape goat though. Agger always missed a shit load of games through injury so I'll ask you the question again, would you rather see Kolo Toure starting than Lovren? Sakho has been woeful this season I'll admit that - I still think he's a good player but for whatever reason he's had a disaster this season and looks devoid of confidence. He's obviously fallen out with Rodgers as well so I imagine he will be gone in January or next summer. We always needed to buy a centre back; who else was out there that looked as good an option as Lovren? Did well at a Premier League club, knew Lallana and Lambert anyway (shouldn't have needed to settle in too much), looked a leader. The price is irrelevant for him - when players like Downing and Carroll have come to this club for the same or more money than Lovren it seems silly to bemoan 20 million spent on an area of the team we did need improving.

It hasn't happened so far. Our defence has been an embarrassment. But last night Enrique and Mignolet were at fault far more than Lovren. Enrique was fucking dreadful. It only serves to highlight the absurdity of dropping Moreno - one of our only good players this season. Mignolet made some good saves but once again from a set piece put us in trouble; why palm that ball only slightly away? it hits Lovren and bounces back to danger. Either palm it well away or try and catch it. It's this indecisiveness that has constantly cost us time and time again. It started last season and has grown into a monster of uncertainty this one. Mignolet has been at fault for nearly every goal. His positioning is dreadful, command non-existent. Why we didn't go for Vorm or Begovic I have absolutely no idea.

We signed Balotelli because the club showed no balls in the window. Man United for all their faults went out and spent big money on two world class players in Di Maria and Falcao. Had we just bought them and no one else we'd probably be just as good as last season. We missed out on Sanchez so we should have gone all out for those 2 players whatever the cost.

I still think Balotelli has all the ability in the world, his touch is majestic at times but fuck it, the way he plays is so antithetical to how we played last season. He's slow at getting forward, never likely to press and requires ball to feet every time or gets closed down easily. Suarez was an absolute nightmare to play against, Balotelli must be a breeze for a lot of defenders. I still think he's capable of scoring 15 odd league goals but not in a side that's relied on quick counters, intensity and pass and move to get them where they were last season.

We didn't back out of signing Remy though, he gave us no choice when he failed a medical - why take that risk and have no insurance for a player with heart problems?

Markovic I completely agree with - nonsense of a signing so far. Looks entirely a speed merchant with no idea what to do with the ball. if you're going to bemoan 20 million spent on a player then it's for him so far.

People suggesting Rodgers could get sacked are absolutely ridiculous though. Laughable. He took us from a rotten Europa league level team to within 3 points of winning our first title since 1990. And that was with a squad that relied on Moses, Aspas and Alberto to come on and change a game. He got us back to playing the way we've always wanted to play and destroying teams on a monthly basis. Yes, Suarez was a large part of that but Rodgers coached him to the level he is now. He also did wonders with Sterling and Henderson who both could have gone either way.

It's completely disrespectful to now suggest he could lose his job. The summer has been a disaster so far but losing your best player will always lead to that likely result. I'd wait a few months before making the final verdict on the signings though. Lallana looks great - when he's fully fit he can be a key player for us. Moreno is a great signing. Manquillo has been handy if not spectacular. Lovren I think will come good - but when your goal keeper is a clown then it's difficult.

I'm as frustrated as the next fan but we have Sturridge and Allen to come back in. I fail to believe the quality in the side wont come good - there's too many good players for it not to.

Agree with most of what you've written.

I'm not making Lovren a scapegoat though; I'm equally disappointed with all of the other overpriced signings Brendan's made. Lovren has been shite and my focus on him comes from your claim that he was our best defender after he'd played like two games. Would I rather we played Toure? No, but I'd have preferred us to have signed someone better with 20million because that's a hell of a lot of money to spend on a centre-back. You should expect someone world-class when you spend that kind of money.

I don't really want to get into the Agger debate again, but we did only lose one game with him in the team last season and he was statistically by far the best defender we had. We sold him after he disagreed with Brendan about bring dropped. He wasn't dropped because he was injured, he was dropped because Brendan was dumb. Seems like if you disagree with Brendan you're out.

Never thought Lovren was anything special at Southampton. We should have signed someone better, just as we should have spent the money better in every other position.
bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by bluenine on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm

Roma vs Bayern has to be the game of this group stage. A must watch, should be some crazy ass attacking football in display.

Liverpool vs Madrid should be fun too, Balotelli does leave his best for the big games. But this could easily turn into an one sided affair, specially if Bale is fit.

These are the two games I am planning to watch. Serie A vs Bundesliga, EPL vs La Liga... this is what CL is all about.
Luis

Post by Luis on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm going on Wednesday night. Just hope we keep it respectable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:48 am