Super Progress

Number of posts : 15428
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Real Madrid CF 2015/16

Post by Super Progress on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Worst send off of a club legend ever?

They even unfollowed him on twitter hours after he left.

Perez must really hate him
Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie

Post by Fey on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:43 pm

It's sad to see legends go out like this, but on the other hand he did become a bit of a dressing room tumor. Also Madrid should be happy they are one of the few clubs that can actually keep their own players they gave birth to. At my club my players get taken away by the child protection service before they can grow facial hair.

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Jaime on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Well, I don't know if anyone else caught the first friendly against Roma but here are a few thoughts.

Interesting tactical setup from Rafa. After all the speculation, it was most certainly a typical Rafa 4-2-3-1. Ronaldo played out on the left per the usual. Bale played as the #10 right behind Jese who started as the centre forward. Odegaard started wide on the right. While Illarra partnered Modric in the middle. The first half the team was pretty impotent. Odegaard is obviously a marketing gimmick. The kid really offered nothing. Was like playing 10 against 11. I know he thinks he is too good for Castilla but I don't even think he would start in that team. Jese was disappointing, I thought he would really be chomping at the bit but apart from one really great through pass for Bale he was mostly annonymous. The team played really low pressure everywhere on the pitch and just kind of sank back when Roma was in possession of the ball.

The second half was better. Bale played the first 10 minutes or so but then it ended up being Benzema up front with Cheryshev (left), Isco (centre), and Vazquez (right). Meanwhile Kroos partnered Lucas Silva in the middle. AS was pretty critical of Silva but I actually thought he was ok. Better than what he showed last season, at least. Actually won some tackles and some aerial duals. There was a lot more creativity with Isco and Benzema on the pitch. Isco was the best player in either half for me. Very active, moving the ball, taking on defenders. Vazquez will obviously be Rafa's facking runner. He does have some quality though. Had the best chance of the game for RM after an interchange with Isco he cut in on his left foot and his shot was saved. O was expecting more from Cheryshev but he looks like a player who knows he has no future and is just going through the motions.

Danilo. Well, for a 30m fullback there were a lot of errant passes and crosses to nobody. He did have one shot off his left foot that was sort of close to the target. Thanks Porto. Arbeloa played at left back in the second half for Marcelo and I think he will have a part to play as one of Rafa's faithful soldiers.

Navas is obviously not the answer in goal. All the critics of Casillas who were calling for him to start last year should be amused to see that he is really the same goalkeeper as Iker. He cannot handle any crosses and he is awful with his feet. Good thing Kiko Casilla has been signed and maybe De Gea will arrive too before it's all over.

Obviously it's hard to draw conclusions because it's just the first game and the team has been training only a few days and they just got off of a really long flight less than 24 hours before playing. But I don't see anything spectacular from the new players so far so really it's going to be a matter of Rafa trying to get something different tactically and maybe having the players a little fresher come the final months of the season and hopefully a little more luck with the injuries and hopefully more from the goalkeeper position because the personnel is really going to be the same. Which is fine because until the injuries last year the team was cruising.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Super Progress wrote:Worst send off of a club legend ever?

They even unfollowed him on twitter hours after he left.

Perez must really hate him

I dont think it's any worse than Hierro or Raul for that matter. It's like Fey says you would hope for a happy ending but there are very few players that can bow out gracefully. Casillas had the opportunity to go after lifting la decima but he decided to stay. And while I don't think he is entirely to blame for last year his skills have deteriorated and RM demand the highest standards. I think I said somewhere, Sanchis is the only one I can remember who accepted a minor role in the team and he left after the 2000 CL title. Even if you go back to the Quinta del Buitre, Butragueno left to go play in Mexico after Raul passed him by and Michel too as I recall. I think these players are all just so competitive they still think in their minds they can play at the highest level even after they have started to drop off.
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 pm

Danilo first game in a preseason game and Jaime is already saying thanks Porto. Yet when Gago and Higuain came it was patience city. Wink Laughing
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:22 am

Cristiano wrote:Danilo first game in a preseason game and Jaime is already saying thanks Porto. Yet when Gago and Higuain came it was patience city. Wink Laughing
Biggrin

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:49 pm

You forget to mention that Seydou Keita scored the winning penalty against you.

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:28 pm

"Florentino doesn’t like black players"

Iker Casillas' representative has also alleged that the Blancos supremo affords Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema preferential treatment

Agent Santos Marquez has accused Real Madrid president Florentino Perez of discriminating against black players, claiming that the likes of Claude Makelele and Samuel Eto'o were sold because of their colour of their skin.

Perez infamously dismissed Makelele's talents after allowing the former France international to Chelsea in 2003, while Eto'o only made three appearances for the club before joining Mallorca and then subsequently achieving superstardom at Barcelona.

Marquez, who currently counts Iker Casillas among his clients, has now revealed that he fell out with Perez over his treatment of the pair.

"It was over Makelele, for a lack of respect," the agent told AS. "Florentino doesn’t like black players; he’s not a racist but he doesn’t like them.

"I also fought with him over Eto’o. Samuel was just as much a Galactico as Figo. He left for the colour of his skin."

Marquez also alleged that Perez affords his favourite players preferential treatment and puts pressure on his coaches to continually select the likes of Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.

"The squad knows who [Perez's favourites] are and so does the coach," the agent added.

"The only clash he had with [former Madrid coach] Ancelotti was over Bale. He thinks that Bale is the best in the world.

"He doesn’t know how to take care of the Ballon d’Or winner [Cristiano Ronaldo] he already has in the squad. Bale is going to play wherever he likes.

"Another is Karim Benzema. He got rid of [Gonzalo] Higuain, [Angel] Di Maria, [Vicente] Del Bosque... none of whom were that bad.

"Del Bosque has won everything there is to win but what happened to him is what happened to me – he’s a not exactly a looker.

"So Florentino brought in a handsome bloke [Carlos Queiroz] who almost ruined the team."
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Super Progress wrote:
Cristiano wrote:Danilo first game in a preseason game and Jaime is already saying thanks Porto. Yet when Gago and Higuain came it was patience city. Wink Laughing
Biggrin

Neither cost 31m when we already had a perfectly capable player in their position. Nor is Danilo a teenager. ok

Last edited by Jaime on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:30 pm

Messi from La Masia wrote: "Florentino doesn’t like black players"

Iker Casillas' representative has also alleged that the Blancos supremo affords Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema preferential treatment

Agent Santos Marquez has accused Real Madrid president Florentino Perez of discriminating against black players, claiming that the likes of Claude Makelele and Samuel Eto'o were sold because of their colour of their skin.

Perez infamously dismissed Makelele's talents after allowing the former France international to Chelsea in 2003, while Eto'o only made three appearances for the club before joining Mallorca and then subsequently achieving superstardom at Barcelona.

Marquez, who currently counts Iker Casillas among his clients, has now revealed that he fell out with Perez over his treatment of the pair.

"It was over Makelele, for a lack of respect," the agent told AS. "Florentino doesn’t like black players; he’s not a racist but he doesn’t like them.

"I also fought with him over Eto’o. Samuel was just as much a Galactico as Figo. He left for the colour of his skin."

Marquez also alleged that Perez affords his favourite players preferential treatment and puts pressure on his coaches to continually select the likes of Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema.

"The squad knows who [Perez's favourites] are and so does the coach," the agent added.

"The only clash he had with [former Madrid coach] Ancelotti was over Bale. He thinks that Bale is the best in the world.

"He doesn’t know how to take care of the Ballon d’Or winner [Cristiano Ronaldo] he already has in the squad. Bale is going to play wherever he likes.

"Another is Karim Benzema. He got rid of [Gonzalo] Higuain, [Angel] Di Maria, [Vicente] Del Bosque... none of whom were that bad.

"Del Bosque has won everything there is to win but what happened to him is what happened to me – he’s a not exactly a looker.

"So Florentino brought in a handsome bloke [Carlos Queiroz] who almost ruined the team."

Of course this overlooks the fact that Perez bought Makelele in the first place. Eto'o left because there wasn't an EU place for him. Unless we preferred to get rid of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, or Walter Samuel. Of course in retrospect we should have canned Samuel but at the time everyone thought he was going to be awesome! Benitez isn't exactly and adonis either but Florentino hired him. But never mind that don't let facts get in the way of an agent ranting.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Messi from La Masia wrote:You forget to mention that Seydou Keita scored the winning penalty against you.

Wtf are you talking about?
Cristiano

Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,

Post by Cristiano on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Biggrin

Neither cost 31m when we already had a perfectly capable player in their position. Nor is Danilo a teenager. ok

It's still ONE Preseason friendly. Behave Laughing
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:47 am

Cristiano wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Biggrin

Mostly I am pissed off at the portuguese clubs for always raping us when we buy their players! 31 f*cking million for this guy. Unreal.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Jaime wrote:
Cristiano wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Biggrin

Mostly I am pissed off at the portuguese clubs for always raping us when we buy their players! 31 f*cking million for this guy. Unreal.
That is true though. For that amount Danilo, considering we already had a good Rb, he better deliver.

I still don't get why the club felt we needed somebody better than Carvajal. I never really heard any complaints and yet the media never seemed to mention why the club was chasing Danilo in the first place. Still don't get it.
Cristiano

Post by Cristiano on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Super Progress wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Cristiano wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Biggrin

That is true though. For that amount Danilo, considering we already had a good Rb, he better deliver.

I still don't get why the club felt we needed somebody better than Carvajal. I never really heard any complaints and yet the media never seemed to mention why the club was chasing Danilo in the first place. Still don't get it.

Yea I agree Carvajal is perfectly fine there was no need. Although I personally would have liked another back up right back. But dont mind me that's just because I find Arbeloa utterly useless and shouldn't playing at this level. Actually annoys me watching him.

31m is a hell of a lot of money for someone who has not made a big mark in Europe(having been playing here), although when you put it into context of fees going around in the market it could be viewed different.

So in a nutshell I agree it's a lot of money. However I reserve judgement until end of the season. I thought Pepe was a lot of money when we got him but he has turned out to be worth it. Let's wait and see. Not start analysing his game and making conclusions from a bloody preseason friendly, the first one at that.

Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Cristiano wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Cristiano wrote:
Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:
Biggrin

Yea I agree Carvajal is perfectly fine there was no need. Although I personally would have liked another back up right back. But dont mind me that's just because I find Arbeloa utterly useless and shouldn't playing at this level. Actually annoys me watching him.

31m is a hell of a lot of money for someone who has not made a big mark in Europe(having been playing here), although when you put it into context of fees going around in the market it could be viewed different.

So in a nutshell I agree it's a lot of money. However I reserve judgement until end of the season. I thought Pepe was a lot of money when we got him but he has turned out to be worth it. Let's wait and see. Not start analysing his game and making conclusions from a bloody preseason friendly, the first one at that.

Of course you are right that we can't make a full judgment at this stage but I would feel a lot better if he showed something. Isco looked very sharp in the first match. So did Benzema. Jese looked bad too and I am pretty concerned about that as well even though it's the first game only. Danilo was very sloppy in his passing and didn't really create anything going forward and yet everyone is basically claiming he is Cafu. I would feel much more inclined to be patient with him if he was a teenager straight off the boat! But he's been playing in Europe for how many years now? He's 24 years old. He should be able to show us something. It's like with Odegaard. He was completely invisible too but he's a baby I don't expect him to show anything and if he does that would be a shock. Anyhow, maybe he'll be awesome against Man City and then you can say I told you so. Biggrin
Cristiano

Post by Cristiano on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Again I repeat one game. A preseason GAME. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to show you something in one half of the first preseason game. A lot of the players didn't look too clever out there and these are guys who have proven themselves for years. So to already start crying about it is over the top.

To me his an unknown, I've never really seen him play much so I'll take no pleasure from I told you so or be upset if he turns out to be shit. AGAIN ITS ONE HALF OF THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME. I think any player can be excused for looking shit in that game.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Cristiano wrote:Again I repeat one game. A preseason GAME. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to show you something in one half of the first preseason game. A lot of the players didn't look too clever out there and these are guys who have proven themselves for years. So to already start crying about it is over the top.

To me his an unknown, I've never really seen him play much so I'll take no pleasure from I told you so or be upset if he turns out to be shit. AGAIN ITS ONE HALF OF THE FIRST PRESEASON GAME. I think any player can be excused for looking shit in that game.

Well I guess I disagree. I'm not saying he has to play the best game of his life but for 30m I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a player in a very low pressure situation should be able to make more than one accurate pass in a half of football. Maybe he had a blister.

Cristiano

Post by Cristiano on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:12 am

Jaime wrote:
Cristiano wrote:Again I repeat one game. A preseason GAME. I think it's unreasonable to expect him to show you something in one half of the first preseason game. A lot of the players didn't look too clever out there and these are guys who have proven themselves for years. So to already start crying about it is over the top.

Well I guess I disagree. I'm not saying he has to play the best game of his life but for 30m I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that a player in a very low pressure situation should be able to make more than one accurate pass in a half of football. Maybe he had a blister.

Well well well, 3 preseason games in I have to say he has been rather pathetic. Let's see how he does this season. However he has not looked too clever so far.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:19 pm

I go away for a few weeks and now suddenly we are signing Kovacic???? I have to say I'm quite surprised because I really thought Rafa would be looking for a pure DM. Biglia was being linked with us for a while and that seemed more like a typical Rafa signing.

Not sure if Bluey is around but I'd be interested to hear his take on Kovacic. I've only seen the odd game for Croatia really. Modric is underrated in his defensive qualities/work rate and maybe the same is Kovacic.

I guess it really does mean the end for Illarra though and surely (although this is nothing new) Lucas Silva will be leaving in short order as well.

Sounds like the club isn't going to sign a '9' either so it will just be Jese which I'm ok with based on his preseason form.

Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Also, glad to see this is finally resolved!

Apparently, we are going to renew Pepe as well which I'm less convinced about since he is already 32 and Varane really needs to be the first choice but maybe he will be happy to be a rotational player.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Jaime wrote:I go away for a few weeks and now suddenly we are signing Kovacic???? I have to say I'm quite surprised because I really thought Rafa would be looking for a pure DM. Biglia was being linked with us for a while and that seemed more like a typical Rafa signing.

Not sure if Bluey is around but I'd be interested to hear his take on Kovacic. I've only seen the odd game for Croatia really. Modric is underrated in his defensive qualities/work rate and maybe the same is Kovacic.

I guess it really does mean the end for Illarra though and surely (although this is nothing new) Lucas Silva will be leaving in short order as well.

Sounds like the club isn't going to sign a '9' either so it will just be Jese which I'm ok with based on his preseason form.

I'm glad you are signing Kovacic instead of Biglia. Biglia gives you something new, Kovacic is surely a worse version of Kroos or Modric.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 pm

I, worms wrote:
Jaime wrote:I go away for a few weeks and now suddenly we are signing Kovacic???? I have to say I'm quite surprised because I really thought Rafa would be looking for a pure DM. Biglia was being linked with us for a while and that seemed more like a typical Rafa signing.

I'm glad you are signing Kovacic instead of Biglia. Biglia gives you something new, Kovacic is surely a worse version of Kroos or Modric.

But Kroos and Modric are awesome so even being worse you could be pretty damn good. Razz

Casemiro is way better than the fucking dwarf Biglia. Biglia is nowhere close to first choice in Argentina and he plays in a mediocre Napoli side where even Benitez preferred David Lopez half the time last year.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Jaime wrote:
I, worms wrote:

But Kroos and Modric are awesome so even being worse you could be pretty damn good. Razz

Casemiro is way better than the fucking dwarf Biglia. Biglia is nowhere close to first choice in Argentina and he plays in a mediocre Napoli side where even Benitez preferred David Lopez half the time last year.

That's not true he was a starter in every World Cup game and also started some Copa America games. Good player, I don't think Casemiro is better than him yet.

What I am saying is, the Kovacic signing doesn't scare me because he won't even make your starting 11. You signing De Gea would be scary because he will win you several points a season.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

I, worms wrote:
Jaime wrote:
I, worms wrote:

That's not true he was a starter in every World Cup game and also started some Copa America games. Good player, I don't think Casemiro is better than him yet.

What I am saying is, the Kovacic signing doesn't scare me because he won't even make your starting 11. You signing De Gea would be scary because he will win you several points a season.

Which WC was this? In 2014 he started three matches, QF, SF and final. Presumably he got into the team once Sabella realized that Gago was completely shit. Not a big accomplishment.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:24 pm

Great news that the Ramos business is settled now. The Kovacic deal doesn't make a lot of sense because he is a player who still hasn't found his best position yet. I suppose he is brought in as a back up for our creative midfielders so we don't have to use Isco there like last year. On the other hand we have Casemiro(who can pass+tackle) while we had to contend with Illarra/Khedira last year so not sure this transfer is needed. He seems like a very talented player but he has evolving towards more of an offensive position rather than central midfield. In any respect we are pretty well covered in every area except striker. Jese is looking very promising again and he will be a like a new signing in his old form and might even push Benzema. On the other hand I wouldn't mind getting Llorrente since he would be content with being on the bench and he offers something different.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Agree re: Llorente. I think he would be a nice compliment to the other forwards we have in the squad but it sounds like he is closer to Sevilla.

I think the thing about Kovacic is that he could replace either Modric or Kroos and obviously the team suffered a lot when we lost Modric lats year and also it was clear that Kroos was completely destroyed physically by the end of the season he has accumulated way too many minutes. So hopefully Rafa will be able to use him and Casemiro (although tactically he gives you something different whereas I think Kovacic will be more like for like) to rotate the midfield throughout the campaign.

Still lots of decisions regarding players coming and going before the squad is finalised.

1. De Gea - Yesterday the rumour was that Florentino told him to stay in Manchester for one more year and we would pay him a 16m euro bonus when he comes for free. Today it sounds like the transfer is back on but it is contingent on Keylor Navas moving the other direction.

2. Coentrao - He's obviously content to stay put. He's also been linked with a move to Man Utd as well but his agent has said if he leaves RM it will only be to go back to Benfica. He still has two years left on his current deal. I feel like he could still add something to the squad but his injuries have been debilitating and now mentally I don't know if he is implicated for the cause.

3. Asensio - This boy has shown extremely well in preseason but it sounds like he will go on loan to Espanyol this year which I am fine with because it will be good for him to get lots of minutes in Primera.

4. Cheryshev - With Asensio going on loan, it seems certain now that Cheryshev will stay.

5. Lucas Silva - He has to go because there are already 3 non-EU foreign players on the books (Casemiro, Danilo, and James). He was being linked with a loan move to Betis but now it sounds like Arsenal are in for him on a permanent deal. What a waste of time.

6. Illarramendi - I think Kovacic is obviously the final nail in his coffin. I feel bad for the guy because he's genuinely a good lad. He never complains when he doesn't play, he tries. But he will always be haunted by that night in Dortmund and he hasn't shown the mental fortitude to overcome that performance. Sounds like he will go to Liverpool and I think his qualities will be well suited to the EPL.

So I think in the end the squad will look like this:

GK: Kiko Casilla, David De Gea
DF: Alvaro Arbeloa, Dani Carvajal, Danilo, Marcelo, Nacho, Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Raphael Varane
MF: Casemiro, Denis Cheryshev, Isco, Mateo Kovacic, Toni Kroos, Luka Modric, James Rodriguez, Lucas Vazquez
FW: Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, Jese, Ronaldo

I think there is real depth in midfield for the first time in a long time. I'm still a little worried about left back. Obviously Rafa has complete faith in Arbeloa for one more year but if there were to be a long term injury to Marcelo I would be a little nervous. If Jese can continue his preseason form forward I think he could really get back to his pre-injury level.

------------------------------------De Gea/Casilla

Carvajal/Danilo------Pepe/Varane------S. Ramos/Nacho------Marcelo/Arbeloa

------------------------Kroos/Casemiro------Modric/Kovacic

James/L. Vazquez------------------Bale/Isco-----------------Ronaldo/Cheryshev

-----------------------------------Benzema/Jese

Still remains to be seen whether or not Rafa will continue to use Bale through the middle or put him back out on the wing. Or whether Benzema will be first choice or not. But based on preseason this might be close. Perhaps the Trofeo Bernabeu match tonight against Galatasaray will give us some more clues.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Part of the problem last year with Modric was that neither Illarramendi or Khedira could offer anything except sideway passes whereas Casemiro can be more vertical so I don't think we needed Kovacic per se but it certainly doesn't hurt us. This is looking like the best squad we have had in my life time.

I'm ambivalent with the De Gea transfer. I don't think we should let ourselves get hustled by Man Utd when he only has a year left on the contract. On the other hand we haven't had stability and peace in our goalkeeping position for 3 seasons in a row so it would be nice to settle this instead of gambling yet another season with Casilla/Navas.

Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Super Progress wrote:Part of the problem last year with Modric was that neither Illarramendi or Khedira could offer anything except sideway passes whereas Casemiro can be more vertical so I don't think we needed Kovacic per se but it certainly doesn't hurt us. This is looking like the best squad we have had in my life time.

I'm ambivalent with the De Gea transfer. I don't think we should let ourselves get hustled by Man Utd when he only has a year left on the contract. On the other hand we haven't had stability and peace in our goalkeeping position for 3 seasons in a row so it would be nice to settle this instead of gambling yet another season with Casilla/Navas.

Right. But suppose there is a serious injury to one of Casemiro, Kroos, and Modric. Without signing anyone else then we would have been left with Lucas Silva or Illarra who could, in theory, be required. So from that standpoint, I think it was necessary to sign someone. Now, I'm actually surprised that it was Kovacic because I thought Rafa would have gone for another player closer to Casemiro but we'll see. I have only seen Kovacic a couple times (including preseason last year and this).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 am