bluenine

Number of posts : 22998
Supports : www.footballspeak.com
Favourite Player : Zanetti
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Re: Real Madrid CF 2015/16

Post by bluenine on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Jaime wrote:
Super Progress wrote:Part of the problem last year with Modric was that neither Illarramendi or Khedira could offer anything except sideway passes whereas Casemiro can be more vertical so I don't think we needed Kovacic per se but it certainly doesn't hurt us. This is looking like the best squad we have had in my life time.

I'm ambivalent with the De Gea transfer. I don't think we should let ourselves get hustled by Man Utd when he only has a year left on the contract. On the other hand we haven't had stability and peace in our goalkeeping position for 3 seasons in a row so it would be nice to settle this instead of gambling yet another season with Casilla/Navas.

Right. But suppose there is a serious injury to one of Casemiro, Kroos, and Modric. Without signing anyone else then we would have been left with Lucas Silva or Illarra who could, in theory, be required. So from that standpoint, I think it was necessary to sign someone. Now, I'm actually surprised that it was Kovacic because I thought Rafa would have gone for another player closer to Casemiro but we'll see. I have only seen Kovacic a couple times (including preseason last year and this).

Kovacic is a player with great potential. Inter fans are livid with this sale, he was a fan favourite, a player most fans expected to become Inter's Iniesta.

The trouble is, he hasn't settled into any position yet. Maybe the Modric kind of role is his best role, playing a bit deep - but he lacks the defensive solidity required for a deep playmaking position in Italy. He used to be an AM, but he still lacks the end product (of Iniesta). Talent & attitude are not a problem, but the consistency and end product are still question marks. However, maybe in a team which dominates possession, he will be required to do less defensive work so that might work. Largely this problem is of Inter's making - we sacked the coach that bought him very soon, and since have had 2 new coaches. Kovacic has been used in 4 different positions since, never really making the starting role his own until the tail end of last season. Mancini has little use of a regista, unless he has solid defensive skills, so selling him made sense and the money offered was good.

I have no clue what Fat Rafa is thinking, probably just throwing away money as he usually does... of all clubs, Real Madrid probably need a player like Kovacic the least. They already got Modric/Kroos & higher up Isco/James. I can't see Kovacic getting much game time, maybe we can buy him back for 10m next summer Smile

If I had to choose the most natural destination for Kovacic, it would have been Barcelona (of Pep). Kovacic would seamlessly fit into the tiki-taka style possession football.
Jaime

Number of posts : 32027
Supports : Real Madrid CF
Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Lol - Iniesta has zero end product. Didn't score a single goal last year and maybe not the year before. One assist last year. One. Iniesta is art for art's sake. He makes them play and looks good doing it but he has no end product.

Anyway, if he doesn't offer anything defensively the transfer is even stranger yet. Modric has an incredibly underrated workrate and ability to win tackles. And yes, higher up the pitch, he won't have many chances with Isco and James.

I guess we'll see.
messiah

Number of posts : 3084
Registration date : 2011-11-03

Post by messiah on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Oh he wants him be cause he is a iniesta, very very lite, and he knows a iniesta very very lite, is key for his team and better than all of real Madrid's end product midfielders.

Rafa is learning, real may actually win something this season.
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Mateo Kovacic: talented and versatile but a huge gamble for Real Madrid

Internazionale have sold the 21-year-old midfielder to Real Madrid for €32m despite his slow start at the San Siro and debate over his best position

It took Mateo Kovacic more than 20 months to score his first Serie A goal. Signed by Internazionale from Dinamo Zagreb in January 2013, he was immediately given the No10 shirt but did not find the net in a league game until the following September. The drought ended at home to Sassuolo, Kovacic running on to a Dani Osvaldo lay-off before skipping past a defender and beating the keeper.

Relief gave way to excitement at San Siro. This was a strike that epitomised the midfielder’s best qualities – the composure, the elegance, the touch. Kovacic later added an assist in what became a 7-0 rout of Sassuolo, and supporters began to wonder whether he was finally ready to come of age.

A year later, the jury is still out in Milan. The 21-year-old finished the season with eight goals across all competitions but three came in a Europa League qualifier against the Icelandic club Stjarnan. He drifted in and out of favour during the remainder of the campaign, starting a modest 26 league games. He was not expected to make the first XI for the season opener against Atalanta.

Now we know he will not even be on the bench on Saturday. Barring any late hiccups, Kovacic will instead be a Real Madrid player after they agreed to pay Inter €32m up front, plus €3m in potential bonuses, for his services.

No one could be more surprised than Kovacic at this turn of events. Barely a month has passed since he gave a lengthy interview to Gazzetta dello Sport, in which he insisted repeatedly he would not leave. “I want to prove I am worthy of Inter, I want to win with this shirt,” he said. “Inter are the same as Real or Barcelona.”

If that felt like an optimistic assessment of his Italian employers – Inter are about to enter into their fourth consecutive season without Champions League football – then it is no more so than the one Real have made of Kovacic’s standing. This is a player who cost Inter €11m, plus bonuses in 2013 and has failed to establish himself as a leading man since.

Kovacic’s talent is not in doubt. There have been plenty of moments at Inter when he has left audiences gasping. It is tempting to wonder whether Real’s manager, Rafael Benítez, may have fallen in love while managing against him with Napoli last April.

Ten minutes into a 0-0 draw, Kovacic flipped the ball between his two feet on the edge of the box, leaving an opponent flat on his back, before forcing Pepe Reina into a sharp save. Then there was the first-half free-kick that sent the goalkeeper sprawling and the late through ball that put Yuto Nagatomo in on goal while taking two defenders out of the equation.

If Kovacic had performed to this level every week, Inter might have thought twice about selling, even for such a high fee but Gazzetta’s Matteo Brega spoke for the majority of Inter fans when he lamented that the Croat: “Plays like the turn signal in your car: now he’s on, now he’s off, now he’s on, now he’s off again”.

That is not entirely Kovacic’s fault. He was not granted much continuity after arriving at Inter, who have changed manager twice since he arrived – with each new appointment bringing drastic changes to the team’s tactical approach. Last season alone, Kovacic was deployed as a left-winger, a forward, a trequartista and a deep-lying playmaker.

The problem is that, even now, it is not clear which of these positions he is best suited to. Kovacic has the vision and range of passing to pick apart an opponent from deep but lacks the bite to win tackles and give cover to the defence. He has the finesse and footwork to bamboozle a defender but too often seems to get lost and overrun as a No10.

His frustration at not being granted a run of games in any one position has been evident. When Inter’s latest manager, Roberto Mancini, told reporters that Kovacic needed to show he was capable of producing 30 strong performances in a row instead of only the one, he responded that: “Playing every week helps you to find your intensity. This is something I need to earn but playing every week helps a lot.”

What chance does he have, though, of finding the continuity he desires in Madrid? Kovacic can hardly expect to start every week in a squad who have Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, James Rodríguez and Isco competing for places in midfield.

The most plausible explanation for Real’s investment is that they have one eye fixed on the long term. Kovacic is known to think highly of Modric, who is, in turn, said to view his compatriot as a natural heir. It is reasonable to think the younger player may benefit from spending time around a team-mate of such experience and talent, taking things slowly before growing into a greater role.

There are those who see this plan working and accuse Inter of being the ones to miscalculate their need. Luisito Suárez, who wore the No10 shirt for Inter through the 1960s, expressed the fear this may be a moment the club will regret every bit as much as the one to let Andrea Pirlo join Milan in 2001.

“Andrea, too, was sold without having the patience to let him mature and then he became the player we all know,” said Suárez. “Kovacic has class … and don’t tell me he doesn’t do enough in the defensive phase because Pirlo defended badly at his age, too, then he improved this aspect of his game.”

Just because one situation resembles another does not mean history is destined to repeat itself. Inter have made plenty of bad transfer decisions down the years but moving on an inconsistent player – even a young and talented one – for almost three times what you purchased him for cannot be portrayed as bad business.

The greater gambles here belong to Real and Kovacic. Both will be hoping they do not have to wait 20 months for a goal to help validate their faith in one another.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/17/mateo-kovacic-gamble-real-madrid-internazionale

If we wanted a creative alternative to Modric or Kroos we should have gone cheaper and more short term because Kovacic has to mature and learn to play the position we need him for. Madrid has at least 2-3 years left in him so a bit early to get Kovacic in for this long term project. Benitez is a good guy in terms of schooling players defensively so he might be able to turn him into a Modric but I suspect that due to his natural dribbling ability and speed he would be best in a more offensive position.
Jaime

Favourite Player : Butragueño, Redondo, Raúl, Guti, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Isco, Carvajal

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Wow RM give Kovacic the #16 before Lucas Silva is even out the door! Laughing
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Fun fact: Kovacic is the 10th player to move between Real Madrid and Inter.

1996 Roberto Carlos €2,5m (Inter -> Real Madrid)
1996 Ivan Zamorano €7m (Real Madrid -> Inter)
1999 Clarence Seedorf €24m (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2002 Ronaldo €45m (Inter -> Real Madrid)
2004 Esteban Cambiasso free (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2005 Luis Figo free (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2005 Santiago Solari €6m (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2005 Walter Samuel €16m (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2009 Wesley Sneijder €15m (Real Madrid -> Inter)
2015 Mateo Kovacic €28 (Inter -> Real Madrid)
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Jaime wrote:Fun fact: Kovacic is the 10th player to move between Real Madrid and Inter.

Good omen for Kovacic - All transfers were successful for the buying club (apart from Solari).

Real are one of the few clubs we got the better of in transfers. The other is Barca. We should deal with Spanish clubs more often...
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 pm

bluenine wrote:
Jaime wrote:Fun fact: Kovacic is the 10th player to move between Real Madrid and Inter.

Good omen for Kovacic - All transfers were successful for the buying club (apart from Solari).

Real are one of the few clubs we got the better of in transfers. The other is Barca. We should deal with Spanish clubs more often...

Did Seedorf play for Inter very long before moving to Milan? I don't remember him being a big hit wearing black and blue?
Murray

Number of posts : 10199

Post by Murray on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm

Jaime wrote:
bluenine wrote:

Did Seedorf play for Inter very long before moving to Milan? I don't remember him being a big hit wearing black and blue?

He was only there for 2 years, then in a typically stupid Inter transfer, they swapped him for Francesco Coco lol!
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am

With the first match of the season looming how are my fellow Madridistas feeling about are chances this year?

Myself optimism is as low as it has been since Perez came back. I'm not convinced at all by the squad. The whole Bale in the middle business doesn't look too clever to me with the likes of Isco and James who can play there in the squad. From what I've seen in preseason I haven't really seen anything to say we have strengthened. The performance in the Bernabeu Trophy was disgusting, couldn't even dominate the ball and the team is still not compact enough for me. It's the same old none sense of a massive gap between the front five and the rest of the team. Always struggling to win the ball back no matter who we are playing. If Modric gets injured we are even more fucked. To many ifs/possiblies for me. Will Jese do well as a striker? How is Bale going to perform in the new position and more importantly how will it effect the team? Where and how will Kovacic cope? Danilo?(it's been atrocious so far, I let him off in his first game but by now as Jaime said he should have showed us something, I honestly think I've got better passing than him). How will the team and Benitez react To each other when the first mini crisis occurs?

Not looking forward to it, but it should be interesting.

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Looking forward to seeing your season implode and Rafa been sacked mid-way through the season. I like Rafa as a person but I don't rate him as a manager anymore.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Cristiano wrote:With the first match of the season looming how are my fellow Madridistas feeling about are chances this year?

Myself optimism is as low as it has been since Perez came back. I'm not convinced at all by the squad. The whole Bale in the middle business doesn't look too clever to me with the likes of Isco and James who can play there in the squad. From what I've seen in preseason I haven't really seen anything to say we have strengthened. The performance in the Bernabeu Trophy was disgusting, couldn't even dominate the ball and the team is still not compact enough for me. It's the same old none sense of a massive gap between the front five and the rest of the team. Always struggling to win the ball back no matter who we are playing. If Modric gets injured we are even more fucked. To many ifs/possiblies for me. Will Jese do well as a striker? How is Bale going to perform in the new position and more importantly how will it effect the team? Where and how will Kovacic cope? Danilo?(it's been atrocious so far, I let him off in his first game but by now as Jaime said he should have showed us something, I honestly think I've got better passing than him). How will the team and Benitez react To each other when the first mini crisis occurs?

Not looking forward to it, but it should be interesting.

In some senses I feel ok with the squad. There is depth (whether or not Rafa will end up sticking to his rotational policy or not who knows. My guess is FloPer will not like to see a game, even if it is home against Getafe, with Bale and/or Ronaldo in the bench) with guys like Cheryshev, Casemiro, Lucas Vazquez, etc. There are some big questions though. As you say - can Jese really hack it as a make shift '9'? What if something happens to Marcelo and even if nothing happens to Marcelo - what if Marcelo has to play every game at left back. Goalkeeper situation still does not feel settled. I am not a fan of Keylor and I don't think De Gea will come until next summer.

But beyond that the team has looked very impotent in attack. A team that is largely the same as the one that Carlo was in charge of. It seems like the mere presence of Rafa sucks the attacking life out of a team. I haven't seen today's match yet, I recorded it and will watch later but all the warning signs are here that this is going to be a really long season in la liga. Rafa has had one successful domestic league season (07-08) since he left Valencia. One. He was brought here with one objective, same as Jose and Carlo - to win the CL and somehow Florentino has been persuaded that he still has the magic when it comes to cup ties. I'm skeptical.

I am not convinced that he will be the manager one year from now.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:32 pm

Ok, so I've seen the match.

Fair play to Sporting they were really up for this match especially in the first 20 minutes or so they really gave Madrid everything they could handle. There was a lot of chaos but apart from the header that went on to the bar by Sanabria I think it was Sporting didn't create a ton of clear chances. Marcelo had some lapses which was a little disconcerting since we have no other left backs and although Danilo's passing and crossing are atrocious he was pretty sound positionally so there's that.

In attack, ok the obvious: no goals. There were some chances but not a lot of clear chances mind you. But in the second half it was pretty much one way traffic toward the Sporting goal. Again no real break throughs, nobody could find the final pass though. Some long range efforts that were semi-dangerous. The best break through maybe was the first half when Modric put Bale through but the welsh completely ballsed it up trying to shoot from a bad angle. Funnily enough that moment (as with all of Bale's best moments) came when he turned up on the left wing. We definitely missed Benzema's ability to connect with the other players in attack. For me it wasn't a penalty on Ronaldo in the first half. The Sky commentators thought it was but for me it was barely anything.

Very hard to work out what Rafa was going for tactically. At times it looked like one of Luxemburgo's magic squares. Sometimes it almost seemed like a 4-2-4 with Jese, Isco, Bale, and Ronaldo all playing in a very straight line near the top of the Sporting penalty area. Not nearly enough movement between the lines. Benitez said in his post match press conference that the team finished in a 4-3-3 but it looked like 4-4-2 once Isco came off.

Who knows where the team goes from here. Ronaldo was completely invisible but he seemed to be more involved in the second half especially once he was moved to play in the '9' role. It's a shame that we have a couple of real wingers in the team that could have actually been useful in the second half to try and stretch the Sporting backline but one never left the bench and one didn't even make it out of the VIP box.

I guess we'll see how the team evolves but for now I think it's safe to say, RAFA OUT! Biggrin
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Illarra back to Real Sociedad. 15m + 5m in conditionals.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:06 pm

So now Cheryshev is leaving????? Sale to Valencia sounds like it will be confirmed shortly. If Cheryshev is not staying then why the hell did well loan Asensio?????? The only thing I can think of is that Jese will play on the left and FloPer will sign an actual striker for Rafa.

James/L. Vazquez------Bale/Isco------Ronaldo/Jese

-----------------------Benzema/??????

Llorente is still waiting for an escape from Juventus.

Latest rumour is that De Gea will be in Madrid by the end of the week. 35m Euro.
Cristiano

Number of posts : 2557
Supports : Real Madrid
Favourite Player : Zidane, Sergio Ramos, Casillas, Ozil, David Silva, Guti, Hierro, Valeron, Pirlo,
Registration date : 2007-01-09

Post by Cristiano on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Jaime wrote:So now Cheryshev is leaving????? Sale to Valencia sounds like it will be confirmed shortly. If Cheryshev is not staying then why the hell did well loan Asensio?????? The only thing I can think of is that Jese will play on the left and FloPer will sign an actual striker for Rafa.

James/L. Vazquez------Bale/Isco------Ronaldo/Jese

-----------------------Benzema/??????

Llorente is still waiting for an escape from Juventus.

Latest rumour is that De Gea will be in Madrid by the end of the week. 35m Euro.

With one year left on his contract Doh

Transfer prices have just gone silly in the last decade. I remember Van Persie went to United for £20+m with one year left on his contract. It's madness.

And yes RAFA OUT lol!
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Coentrao goes to Monaco on loan for one year.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Jaime wrote:Coentrao goes to Monaco on loan for one year.

f**k him and f**k Mendes.

Now we will have to settle for f**king Ghoulam or Ansaldi.
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 pm

bluenine wrote:
Jaime wrote:Coentrao goes to Monaco on loan for one year.

f**k him and f**k Mendes.

Now we will have to settle for f**king Ghoulam or Ansaldi.

Was he being linked with Inter? That rumour was not anywhere in the Spanish press.

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Monaco are better than Inter.
bluenine

Post by bluenine on Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:29 pm

I, worms wrote:Monaco are better than Inter.

Yeah, specially after we bought their best player (Kondogbia).
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:04 pm

bluenine wrote:

Laughing
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Lucas Silva to Marseille on loan, official.

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:50 pm

bluenine wrote:

Moutinho was/is their best player. They are still better than you, you are shit. Enjoy mid-table mediocrity and no European football this season.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:24 am

Figured there would have been transfers coming in while I was away. Couldn't really catch the game that much last week but from what I remember we looked disjointed in attack. It is clear that Benitez has already some effect on the defence...but also the attack.

Still the best place for Bale is on the left even if he wants to play in the middle. We want him more involved in the play but not too much since his first touch is poor and he isn't that creative. On the other hand Benzema might fit better with him than Jese.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:31 pm

Twitter wrote:Real Madrid played a La Liga match with NO ACADEMY PLAYERS, for the FIRST TIME in 50 years (since 03.10.1965)
Viva Castilla cheers

Viva Galacticos cheers

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:10 pm

[quote="stinger"]
Twitter wrote:Real Madrid played a La Liga match with NO ACADEMY PLAYERS, for the FIRST TIME in 50 years (since 03.10.1965)

#Castilla <Ale>

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:14 pm

James Rodriguez is sick yo,I can't believe he has only just turned 24. Yikes

In the future it ain't gonna be Messi vs Ronaldo, it will be Neymar vs Rodriquez. You heard it here first.

Speaking of Ronaldo it is obvious he has declined a lot since say....2012? If I was Madrid I would sell him next summer and build your side around Rodriquez. Then Bale can play on the left side as well.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:03 pm

James Bubbly
Jaime

Post by Jaime on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:56 pm

Super Progress wrote:James Bubbly

Ale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:37 am