Number of posts : 39348
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Re: Premier League Fixtures 14-17 August 2015

Post by christmasborocooper on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Benteke is good and anyone who doubted him is a stupid c**t
COTR

Number of posts : 26580
Supports : Liverp8-0l
Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:26 am

christmasborocooper wrote:Benteke is good and anyone who doubted him is a stupid c**t

30 million good ?

He's another 7/10 player. Rodgers has signed about 300m worth of them with the very odd exception. Half of them were sitting in the directors box tonight actually having been frozen out. I wonder who will be in their place in the box next year after next summer's splurge.

So sad to see the state of our midfield after all this money has been wasted. I'm praying the Illara rumours are true. There is still hope for this team if Sturridge, Firmino, Coutinho and Bentenke click but what an almighty waste of money Rodgers has overseen.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Not sure there are many that are "30m" good but that's football. I think he'll get a lot of goals, I think he'll offer you something you've not had in shite like Balotelli. And he'll get better.

I don't honestly think you'd get many 9 or 10 out of 10 players for under 40m
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Post by Super Progress on Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:30 pm

30 M seems excessive but the price level for players is merely adjusting upward as it has in the past. This will likely be the norm in the next couple of years.
COTR

Favourite Player : Xabier Alonso, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Agger, Pepe Reina, Alberto Aquilani, Elano, Luis Suarez, Glen Johnson

Post by COTR on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:57 am

christmasborocooper wrote:Not sure there are many that are "30m" good but that's football. I think he'll get a lot of goals, I think he'll offer you something you've not had in shite like Balotelli. And he'll get better.

I don't honestly think you'd get many 9 or 10 out of 10 players for under 40m

Well yeah that's the point. Instead of spending the extra ten million on a 9 out of 10 player we have an extra player like Danny Ings, Aspas, Balotelli, Origi etc etc sitting on the bench throughout the season doing nothing. What he should have done when Suarez left was sign one brilliant player to play with Sturridge, instead we have a random collection of ok and average. It's a repetition of the same mistakes over and over and over again. The idiot has set us back years after being dealt a lucky hand with Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all coming through at the same time. Any competent manager would have spent this money better than this.

Benteke - 30m
Sturridge - 11m
Borini - 11m
Ings - 7m
Origi - 10m
Balotelli - 16m
Firmino - 28m

What's even worse is his initial claim when he came in about midfield being the most important area of the team. While he has been throwing around 20m on the likes of Lallana, Sakho, Lovren, Moreno etc etc there hasn't been a single decent central midfield signing (excluding Coutinho as he is an AM) and as such we are left with Jordan Henderson and James Milner running the team. Very sad and he'll lose his job at the end of the season because of it unless the remainder of the transfer window throws up a few surprises.

But anyway, I'll stop moaning. We have a 100% record so far this season Wink
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:44 pm

I still think Benteke is a good signing but do take your point that he's largely an idiot who has wasted a lot of money. The only other thing is im not entirely sure you'd get any of the brilliant players worth 40m+..like a Benzema or Di Maria for example.. I think you'd get your bid accepted then someone from the top 4 or another league comes along and thinks "Oh. He's actually available.. We'll bid too" then he'll join the better side. Or they'll just say no, because they don't want to play for a non CL club. So the best you can get is people like Benteke, very good but not the elite... The Suarez signings are rare gems, and risks to an extent, he wasn't guaranteed to be great.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:16 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:I still think Benteke is a good signing but do take your point that he's largely an idiot who has wasted a lot of money. The only other thing is im not entirely sure you'd get any of the brilliant players worth 40m+..like a Benzema or Di Maria for example.. I think you'd get your bid accepted then someone from the top 4 or another league comes along and thinks "Oh. He's actually available.. We'll bid too" then he'll join the better side. Or they'll just say no, because they don't want to play for a non CL club. So the best you can get is people like Benteke, very good but not the elite... The Suarez signings are rare gems, and risks to an extent, he wasn't guaranteed to be great.

Ale
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:52 pm

You look at players like Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Shquiri, Cabaye, Payet, Kouyate though and you think why didn't we buy 2 of them instead of Baloelli, Markovic or Lallana?

Markovic, Sakho, Balotelli cost 50-60 million. I can't see any of them playing much this season for us. It's a big waste of money.

Im content with our squad but we'll probably fall short of top 4 without a really big attacking signing. Thankfully United missing out on Pedro and hopefully Arsenal missing out on a Benzema means we have a slim chance and if Sturridge returns in the next month or so we have a very good chance.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Also annoys me how the likes of Begovic and Vorm are going to waste most of the season on the bench. Both are better than Mignolet. Begovic is a quality keeper.

-------------Begovic-------------

---Clyne----Skrtel-----Sakho-------Moreno-------

--------------Tadic------Can---------------------

--------Henderson-----Firmino-------Coutinho-------

-------------------Benteke----------------------------

Finishes top 4 in my opinion. A bench of: Mignolet, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Pelle, Ings.
COTR

Post by COTR on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:12 pm

christmasborocooper wrote:I still think Benteke is a good signing but do take your point that he's largely an idiot who has wasted a lot of money. The only other thing is im not entirely sure you'd get any of the brilliant players worth 40m+..like a Benzema or Di Maria for example.. I think you'd get your bid accepted then someone from the top 4 or another league comes along and thinks "Oh. He's actually available.. We'll bid too" then he'll join the better side. Or they'll just say no, because they don't want to play for a non CL club. So the best you can get is people like Benteke, very good but not the elite... The Suarez signings are rare gems, and risks to an extent, he wasn't guaranteed to be great.

We were a CL side last season

stinger

Post by stinger on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Luis wrote:You look at players like Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Shquiri, Cabaye, Payet, Kouyate though and you think why didn't we buy 2 of them instead of Baloelli, Markovic or Lallana?
Easy to say now. Only Mane and Payet were big enough talents for me and having Firmino/Coutinho not sure if you should go for someone like Payet.

Luis wrote:Also annoys me how the likes of Begovic and Vorm are going to waste most of the season on the bench. Both are better than Mignolet. Begovic is a quality keeper.

Finishes top 4 in my opinion. A bench of: Mignolet, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Pelle, Ings.
You would probably need to switch Tadic and Henderson. Still - very narrow, not sure if Moreno and Clyne are good enough on overlap. You would need at least one winger here to properly support Benteke.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:21 pm

stinger wrote:
Luis wrote:Also annoys me how the likes of Begovic and Vorm are going to waste most of the season on the bench. Both are better than Mignolet. Begovic is a quality keeper.

You would probably need to switch Tadic and Henderson. Still - very narrow, not sure if Moreno and Clyne are good enough on overlap. You would need at least one winger here to properly support Benteke.

Clyne is certainly good enough on the overlap. Moreno has a lot to do but if he can perform like he did the other night he could be a valuable asset.

Sturridge would obviously start when fit in place of Henderson in that team or Firmino.

Instead of Ibe or Lallana we could have Payet, Mane, Cabaye up there though. All 3 could have been signed for around 10 million and would have improved us massively.

stinger

Post by stinger on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes, hindsight is a bitch.

You get Cabaye than one of Milner or Henderson has to be realistically dropped. New player who was promised central role or new club captain. Difficult decision. But you don't have anyone like Cabaye, so he would be a good fit.

Payet makes things complicated for Coutinho and/or Firmino. I would buy Payet instead of Firmino though, I don't care about him being 28/29/whatever.

Mane is not all that IMO.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:46 pm

I think that's where Rodgers needs to improve though. He has his own players that he will persist with no matter what - Allen, Milner and now Lovren as well. Don't get me wrong I think Milner is a great addition to the squad but he's never going to be dropped unless it's to do with fitness IMO.

If Payet is making things complicated for those two then it's what we need. No one should be safe. Firmino will hopefully start a game soon - I'll understand if it isn't at Arsenal but I'll start to worry if he doesn't start at home to West Ham the week after. 28 million spent on what looks like an exciting attacking player - he has to be starting ahead of Ibe or Lallana.
debaser

Number of posts : 22064
Supports : Aston Villa and Shrewsbury Town
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by debaser on Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Thing is, you can look at Lallana and he was just as - if not more - impressive for Southampton than Mane, Pelle or Tadic so who's to say any of them would've been successful at Liverpool had you bought them when Southampton did.

Also all of them have blown hot & cold - Mane only really picked up at the end of last season, Tadic started well but faded: if they'd done similar at Liverpool they'd be written off or dropped earlier.

if you bought them now, when they've had a season at Southampton to get used to the league, you'd be paying the premium for that & they'd no longer be bargain but potentially another Lovren/Lallana struggling to live up to big price tag.
christmasborocooper

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:37 pm

COTR wrote:

We were a CL side last season

Yeah but this conversation was about why you bought Benteke. And even with CL.. I still don't think you can compete with the big boys.

Also as debs says.. Saying things like "why didn't we sign potentially good player a instead of potentially good player b" seems stupid

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:49 pm

Luis wrote:

Markovic, Sakho, Balotelli cost 50-60 million.

Why is Sakho suddenly been frozen out? He was great last season. He's better than Lovren without a doubt.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 am