Europa League 2015/2016

Fey

Number of posts : 35347
Supports : Feyenoord and Manchester United
Favourite Player : ??#$ Error, John Guidetti, Jordy Clasie
Registration date : 2006-08-07

Re: Europa League 2015/2016

Post by Fey on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Great fucking ending, Dortmund fucking blew it. Wish every game where both teams cant defend were like this!
Murray

Number of posts : 10206

Post by Murray on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:03 pm

f**k off Liverpool, we'll never hear the end of it.
Luis

Number of posts : 26261
Supports : Liverpool
Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson
Registration date : 2007-03-28

Post by Luis on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:04 pm

This fucking club. Get in!!!!
Isco Benny

Number of posts : 19647
Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag
Favourite Player : Don't cha wish your left back was BAE? Don't cha
Registration date : 2006-08-08

Post by Isco Benny on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 am

Fair play Liverpool. Fair fucking play Ale
Super Progress

Number of posts : 15429
Supports : Real Madrid + Mierda inchada en un palo
Favourite Player : Laudrup,Cassano,Totti, Zidane,Marcelo, Pepe!,Guti, PROGRESS

Post by Super Progress on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:38 am

Isco Benny wrote:Fair play Liverpool. Fair fucking play Ale
Absolutely fantastic game. Probably the most entertaining game I have seen in years.

The strange thing is that Dortmund looked a class above for much of the game. They were great to watch and they look like a real force to reckon with next year in Cl. They have a real shoot if they keep all their top players for another year. Reus just seems unstoppable at times.
Luis

Favourite Player : Luis Garcia, Danny Agger, Pedro, Pepe Reina, Luis Suarez, Raul Meireles, Juan Mata, Jordan Henderson

Post by Luis on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:06 am

Still can't quite believe last night but being a Liverpool fan I should know that anything is possible (both ridiculous euphoria and utter misery). The first 8 minutes were a lesson in how not to set up when you have a good first leg result. We were so open and Dortmund cut through us easily twice. At that point you can't help but feel it's over. If it was a side with a Suarez or Torres in his prime then you'd still maybe believe but to expect the current side to go on to score 3 without reply at that point was ridiculous.

We had lots of chances but they were all quite desperate. Origi was battling very well but he didn't look clinical enough for the type of thing we needed at that moment.

I would have brought Sturridge on at half time but Klopp clearly believed the team we had out would score goals and Origi scored at the perfect moment just after half time - it gives you that slight hope - gets the crowd going. The build up play was as good as anything Barca can produce; watch it back, one touch stuff and a great finish by Origi who is looking like a real player now. 20 years old and has a lot to learn but he's transformed himself under Klopp from a player like Borini or Welbeck that you know won't do anything much to a player you actually expect to make things happen.

When Dortmund made it 3-1 on the night that again seemed to kill the tite dead. Fantastic play by them but Clyne shows again why he's extremely suspect defensively.

I think at this moment we knew it was nothing to lose time - the nerves probably went and we played with more freedom. Excellent goal from Coutinho to once again give that little hope and once Sakho scored it was always going to be another unbelievable night at Anfield. I had absolutely no doubt we'd win it from there.

I think special mentions have to go to Milner who got a few assists and has been quietly so efficient for us over the last few months. Not a player to get you off your seat but he's damn effective and works his bollocks off.

And another special mention to Lovren. Completely turned it around for himself here. Defensively very good for most games he's started under Klopp and now he'll go down in history with that goal.

Semi final will be tough again - I don't know who I want - the idea of facing Sevilla in the final daunts me so I'd maybe want them over 2 legs if we are going to face them.
Luis

Post by Luis on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 am

Villareal vs Liverpool

Sevilla vs Shaktar

Antarion

Number of posts : 3376
Supports : Germany, Bayern
Favourite Player : Mller, Neuer and Schrrle
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Post by Antarion on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Good draw imo.

Luis

Post by Luis on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:00 pm

I don't know too much about Villareal other than they're comfortably 4th in La Liga. By quick glance at their stats it looks as though they don't score too many but aren't too leaky at the back either?

Having the second leg at Anfield is very important again. However I don't think away goals make any difference after last night - Dortmund scored 3 of them and still didn't progress!

We should be looking again to draw away - I think as long as you avoid losing 2-0 or more in the first leg you have a good chance to go through.

stinger

Number of posts : 6477
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Post by stinger on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:45 pm

Luis wrote:I don't know too much about Villareal other than they're comfortably 4th in La Liga. By quick glance at their stats it looks as though they don't score too many but aren't too leaky at the back either?

Having the second leg at Anfield is very important again. However I don't think away goals make any difference after last night - Dortmund scored 3 of them and still didn't progress!

We should be looking again to draw away - I think as long as you avoid losing 2-0 or more in the first leg you have a good chance to go through.
1) 22 clean sheets in all competition this season and 2nd best defensive record in Spain.
2) Great defensive organization despite playing quite straight forward 4-4-2. For years Villarreal was looking to be next Barcelona, but under Marcelino they are more like next Atletico (or Real, because of how quickly they can push the ball when counter attacking). They are also not very interested in having majority of possession.
3) Despite coming back to Valencia region Soldado still didn't find his shooting boots, but he is proving to be a decent foil for Bakambu, who at the moment is scoring for fun (but still misses plenty of chances too).
4) Mussacchio is injured, so starting XI probably will be: Asenjo/Areola - Mario, Bailly, Ruiz, Jaume Costa - Jonathan dos Santos, Trigueros or Pina, Bruno, Suarez - Bakambu, Soldado.
Costa and dos Santos are coming back from injury, they've got some minutes yesterday and I would expect them to start against Liverpool. Pina is injured, not sure how serious though.

I was hoping for Villarreal-Shakhtar, so I could go and watch one match in Lviv Sad
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:54 pm

I talked with a Liverpool friend after watching the game and I said Villarreal will be a real dark horse here. They are well drilled and great at pressing. They play a tight 4-4-2 and they should not be underestimated at all.

Update:
I see stinger beat me to it. I predict an upset in the first game because Liverpool won't be prepared for them and because Liverpool will go there playing as a favourite rather than the way they did at Dortmund.

Stinger
I would say they resemble the Dortmund of Klopp quite a bit rather than Real Madrid. Atletico are willing to sit too deep but otherwise there is a great deal of similarity between the two.

Luis

Post by Luis on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Not sure why we'd be favourites - Villareal are 4th - we're about 8th or something. I suppose you could argue no team would be favourite going to Anfield in the second leg though.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 am

Because you're Liverpool and you just beat Dortmund while they are just Villarreal.
Luis

Post by Luis on Thu May 05, 2016 10:05 pm

cheers
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170
Registration date : 2006-08-06

Post by Kimbo on Thu May 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Sevilla's consistency is ridiculous
Isco Benny

Supports : Spurs, FOLLOWS (just for worms): Werder Bremen, Lazio, Ferencvaros, Valencia, El Classico, Angleterre, Magyarorszag

Post by Isco Benny on Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 am

Congrats Liverpool. No mean feat getting through the 56 games or whatever it is to get to the final. Unlike SOME LIVERPOOL FANS who appeared to have a real issue with Spurs possibly winning the title, I have no problem with admitting that, despite the inevitable unbearable nature of their fans, that isn't enough to say that I don't enjoy watching them play the football they play under Klopp and that winning the EL would be well deserved.

Amazing to think on the other hand that this could be Sevilla's 4th (?) EL title in 7 years too. As Kimbo says, incredible consistency. They own this competition.
Super Progress

Post by Super Progress on Fri May 06, 2016 10:57 am

If Sevilla win it would be their 5th Uefa Cup/Europa League title in 10 years! (2006, 2007, 2014 and 2015)

I hope Liverpool win though because dynasties are boring and they deserve it for that amazing Dortmund game alone.
Luis

Post by Luis on Fri May 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Will be incredibly tough to overcome a Sevilla team that have the know how to win the competition but if we can field the same 11 as last night (maybe Allen in for Lallana) then we have a very good chance.

It's a huge game that may set the tone for Klopp's reign here but if we don't do it ive seen enough to know Klopp is the man to take us forward with a bit of spending power.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed May 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Liverpool: Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Milner, Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho, Sturridge

Sevilla: Soria, Mariano, Rami, Carrico, Escudero, Krychowiak, N'Zonzi, Coke, Banega, Vitolo, Gameiro
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed May 18, 2016 8:29 pm

Fantastic goal

Di Caniooooo!

Number of posts : 10829
Supports : West Ham
Favourite Player : Paolo Di Canio, Moore, Hurst, Peters
Registration date : 2007-03-24

Post by Di Caniooooo! on Wed May 18, 2016 9:16 pm

Fey

Post by Fey on Wed May 18, 2016 9:23 pm

Great game tho. But classic example of EPL individualism vs team play.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed May 18, 2016 9:44 pm

Their 5th title in 9 years or so? Thats fucking ridiculous.
christmasborocooper

Number of posts : 39348

Post by christmasborocooper on Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Yeah they're pretty good
Murray

Number of posts : 10206

Post by Murray on Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Spursed it.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Beaten by a better team. So comfortable in the first half - we had to get the second and should have done. They did a Liverpool to us in the second half - killed us with high tempo, quick passing play and we got utterly destroyed. Became a scrappy game after their 3rd.

At this point I'm of course disappointed but I believe in Klopp. I think if we can spend some money then he may get us doing well in the league next season with no European distraction. This season was nearly salvaged by him. He came in at a point where we were utterly abject. He got us playing great football. He nearly won us a carling cup and he instilled a spirit whereby we looked like we were going to pull off a Europa League trophy.

Ultimately the season is a bad failure; 8th is an unacceptable league position and we didn't win anything. However the failure of this season is down to the owners IMO - Rodgers was done at the end of last season - a wasted summer giving him more time with players he had already clearly lost (we lost 6-1 at Stoke ffs) and wasted money on Benteke which everyone predicted.

Of course Klopp has made mistakes - we dropped points in league games that were because of tactical errors but you can understand and accept that at this stage. The damage was done before that.

Now Klopp will have a proper pre season and summer to prepare (not helped too much by the Euros though) and we can judge him properly over the course of next season. I think there's maybe question marks over his tactical prowess at this stage but his ability to get players to work hard and attack with real danger is probably second to none - I know we'll have many more exciting games under him but we must start from the back - Mignolet, Moreno and Skrtel should be first out the door. Sakho may never return for us, who knows. He has to get defensive reinforcements.
Kimbo

Number of posts : 38170

Post by Kimbo on Wed May 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Went to the gym at half time thinking Liverpool were walking it and Sevilla were looking a bit hoofball, come back and a rape has happened.
Fey

Post by Fey on Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 pm

5th lost final in a row for Klopp.
Luis

Post by Luis on Wed May 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Fey wrote:5th lost final in a row for Klopp.

It's not a good stat but then the two this season - we lost on pens to a much better Man City team and we played better than them on the day. We had no real right to be in this Europa final either - Dortmund should have seen us off and Villareal are currently a lot better too. So you could argue Klopp got us to those finals. I don't know how much blame he can take for tonight, we saw a team that just didn't have enough quality to get over the line in the end.
Isco Benny

Post by Isco Benny on Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Luis wrote: They did a Liverpool to us in the second half - killed us with high tempo, quick passing play and we got utterly destroyed.

I was going to come on and offer my commiserations, but then I read this. And that in turn reminded me that Liverpool fans take narcissism to an entirely new level.

They didn't do a Liverpool to you mate. They've won the fucking thing 3 times in a row so I'd say they did a Sevilla to you.

Unlucky anyway. Whilst I'd love to take the piss given the huge levels of schadenfreude dished out to us this season by virtually everyone, at the end of the day you've got to be in it - whether it be a cup final or a league title challenge - in order to lose (or win) it. So whilst it's easy to laugh at other clubs when they bottle those occasions, better to have been there to do so than not at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 am