Luis wrote:All you need is one player like Suarez or Bale to get you top 4, it's not really rocket science. Reus or Lacazette 40 million and we finish top 4.
The problem was we spent that sort of money on Benteke and Lallana/Balotelli.
Surely Klopp won't be as stupid but then Mignolet signing a 5 year deal today has me worried. I hope Klopp didn't have a part in that.
Of course he had, it's delusional to think otherwise.
You've got a £30m forward with a 1 in 2 goal record in this league sitting on the bench only getting 10 min cameos. Even if he's off form, he's a lot more likely to come up with a goal than Milner or Ibe so you gotta question the manager there. Or can you just return him to Villa please? Ta
Caulker on loan seems a fairly smart signing if you got injuries. Ideal world you'd be buying a quality long-term option who can take the position for years but that is not easy to do midseason. If it's someone from another Premier League club who you could expect to slot in straight away (say, Ashley Williams) you'd be paying through the nose as most would be unwilling to lose a key player in January. And if you're importing, they're probably going to take the rest of the season to adapt and you'd probably get better performances from players like Caulker & Kolo Toure in the short-term.
Some additional comments on my own:
1) You can't expect to buy a new one Premier League level Centre Back when you already have Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho on your payroll. One day they will all be healthy and you have 2 unhappy central defenders not playing. And it's not a position where you can rotate.
2) I think Tottenham should be a blueprint for what Liverpool needs to do - trim squad, mould it according to manager will and slowly fight your way up to.
3) If you can buy Bale/Suarez kind of player down the road then do it, but realistically it will be very, very difficult. For starters - Reus is way too injury prone for Liverpool to spend 50m pounds on him.
4) Also, lack of Academy players is something which should be addressed as well. Years ago Benitez did serious overhaul there, brought Spanish coaches... and then nothing positive happened. No local players and no Spanish either in 1st team from ones who were brought to U19/U21 teams.
5) http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jan/18/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-transfer-committee - interesting article on this topic, even more interesting is the fact that Committee did better with transfers than Club managers,